Expand my Community achievements bar.

RE- Display PDF according to the Language selected!!

Former Community Member

Hi ALL,

I'm looking for the right approach to create a Form.

Scenario is to collect the user's information in a Dynamic PDF. The PDF file would be contain 20 - 100 pages.

Now the user given a choice to select the language known from the drop Down menu( for Eg. french, Spanish, Hebrew( with their own language fonts).

once selected- the entire form should now be shown according to the language selected.

Issues to consider:

1) Here i have a major challenge as the layout and certain fields and data are removed or added. depending upon the language.

2) Adding Right to Left language support Eg Arabic
3) sending the data to the server - i guess this would be easy part as i would try to manage to get the right XSD file for it.

Estimated solutions i think to be :

a) Add all different language forms as a package to the main PDF
            - not sure whether we can really implement this or not. If yes, how efficient it would be?
            - secondly the size of the Package would might become an issue.
b) to have a WSDL call to retrive the data accroding to the language
     - here the removing and adding of fields require additional work thru JavaScript.
     -  Addressing the Right to left language support would be very difficult.

c) Having a Hyperlink to each language selected to load PDF in the same browser.
     - not sure about the cons here

d) creating one single PDF form with sub-forms mapped to each language. i.e only showing one sub-form according to the language selected.

- adding new language requires lot of care while modifying JavaScript code and to the new Sub-Forms added.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Hemant Garg

3 Replies

Former Community Member

I have had many Customers try this and your approaches will work as long as the form is simple in nature. A 20-100 page form will be quite large to begin with but to be able to put code into each field to manipulate the text to select the different languages will make the form very very large. Not to mention concerns about performance. In almost all cases the Customer ended up building different forms for different languages and had the user select the language prior to displaying the form. This implies that the forms are housed on some sort of web server and they are accessing the form via a link. To this end XLIFF transalation has been added to the latest release to allow you to create a "strings" file that will make the creation of multi-forms easier. Here is a blog entry that discusses the XLIFF solution:

C:\Users\pguerett\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\ZM9JGYA4\Full article.htm

Hope that helps

Paul

Former Community Member

Hi Paul,

The Link below is your local machine so i don't have access to it!!

Thanks for the approach to take this further.

I had found a good method to achieve it.

First create a form in English Language and generate the XML for it.

Now bind the XML to the Caption property of the fields in the Form and make it permanent.

Now using the Same above XML create the XML for the different Language and import it according to the locale selected.

Yes to change the LTR or RTL we have to put the code!!

Curently i tried for the smaller forms and working fine ( English, French, Arabic).

Kindly suggest if you have any better approach or want to add to the above method.

I would be glad to know that!!

Thank you in advance!!

Regards,

Hemant Garg

Former Community Member

Sorry about the link .....Outlook fooled me again!

Here is the proper link:

http://blogs.adobe.com/cgi-bin/mt/mt-search.cgi?search=XLIFF&IncludeBlogs=261&limit=20

Your approach is sound. Have a read of the blog entry above.....you may be able to take advantage of some techniques described there.

Paul