Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Radio Buttons as Required - Possible Cause of Unable to Submit Form?

Former Community Member

I am missing something regarding Radio Buttons.  Have created a 9 page form using Flowable layout, and with previous help from this forum, am in the testing phase now.  It is a long questionnaire and some questions are radio buttons, some are checkboxes.  For the radio buttons, they are a yes/no, each set contains 2 buttons and I'm using the quesion numbers as the Binding name, for example Question 17 has 4 sets of yes/no radio buttons for sub questions A, B, C, and D, so the binding names are Q17A, Q17B, etc.

I've made each yes/no set required, thinking I want them to answer yes or no for part A, B, C and D, each.  In doing the final testing, when I click Submit, it tells me at least one required field was empty on export.  I've answered every question whether required or not, thinking I may have had some mistakes in required fields, still got the error, then split the form out into 8 separate test documents, each containing only one page plus the 9th submit page in order to narrow it down to which pages/fields were causing the problem.  On pages that did not have radio buttons, only text answers required, I did not get the message.  Only on the pages with radio buttons did I get the 'at least one required field was empty' message, which leads me to wonder what I am missing about making radio buttons required.  I have found lots in the help menu about radio buttons, but not this aspect, and possibly I am just missing it and would appreciate any help, thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

Radio buttons can sometimes give trouble when set to required: see here Re: Required Radio Button Colored Red in a Dynamic Form

One thing to make sure is that each yes/no is within a radio exclusion group and that the radio exclusion is set to required:

Parallels Desktop1.png

Good luck,

Niall

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

Radio buttons can sometimes give trouble when set to required: see here Re: Required Radio Button Colored Red in a Dynamic Form

One thing to make sure is that each yes/no is within a radio exclusion group and that the radio exclusion is set to required:

Parallels Desktop1.png

Good luck,

Niall

Former Community Member

Thank you for the link and info, looks like just the kind of info I am needing.  There is alot to learn, and appreciate the help, thanks.

Former Community Member

Thank you, everything is working now.  One thing I noticed that may have been a problem, I didn't have 'specifiy item values' checked, nor did I have a value.  The form was imported from word and I made it flowable, and the yes/no words were already there so I just added the radio buttons.  Though they were all untitled, after re-checking, they were bound to the question number/letter.  After I added Y/N values to each box and tested again, all was well.  Thank you for your help.