Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Preparing fields need 'locking' in Reader

Former Community Member

I am creating a document in Designer with several fillable fields. I will be distributing the document to people within my company who only have Reader, they will need to be able to lock some of the fields and then distribute to 'end users' outside the company who will fill in the remaining fields and email it back in.

To give you some more context, this is an expense form which the people in my company enter in 'approved dates' of the expenses and lock those fields, then the 'end users' outside the company list expenses and email the form back in to the accounts payable team.

Essentially, I need to know a way to lock some fields (in Reader) and then distribute for more fields to be entered by another user.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

I created one and posted it on this forum ...here is a link to one of the threads.

Paul

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2134982#2134982

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Former Community Member

Locking the fields is not an issue (the scripts will work fine with Reader) ...sending it via email requires the form to be saved and as such it must be Reader Extended to allow that . You can Reader Extend it in Acrobat for this functionality.

Paul

Former Community Member

Hi Paul - thanks so much. What I need is the script for locking the cells, do you know where I can find a sample?

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

I created one and posted it on this forum ...here is a link to one of the threads.

Paul

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2134982#2134982

Former Community Member

Thanks so much for the link and you help, I think I'm a lot closer now.

For some reason I am still getting an error when I try to lock it. Any ideas why?

here's a link to the PDF:

http://aidens.s3.amazonaws.com/CandidateExpenseForm-notlocking.pdf

Former Community Member

There are a couple of things wrong.

1. If you look at the hierarchy view, the scripting object is named Locking and you are calling MyScriptObject. These names must match ....rename the object to MyScriptObject.

2. It is in the wrong place, it need to be at the same level as ExpenseForm not at the InternalSubform level. You can simply drag the scriptobject and drop it ontop off ExpenseForm.

3. You have groups in your hierarchy, the script does not look inside of groups. I suggest that you wrap each of the group sections in a subform, then rename the subform with the same name that the group had. Then you can unGroup under the Layout menu.

Here is a screenshot of the finished hierarchy:

Paulscreen1.jpg

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----