Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Permissions, Imagine quality and ability to change color/add a semi-transparent box without LC

Level 2

I'm new Adobe LiveCycle Designer ES2 and I have a few questions:

1. When I'm importing a PNG, the white background appears black, and when I'm importing EPS the quality is very low. How can I make it work?

2. I'm preparing a case submission form, where the customer have a checklist and he can choose the items he would like to order. After sending back to the company the PDF file, I would like that the the company will add details to the file (such as order tracking number, comments, etc.), which only they will have the permission to add to the PDF file (they don't have Adobe LiveCycle Designer ES2) . How can I do that?

3. If some items are missing in the mentioned PDF, I would like the company to be able to highlight these areas. For example, there is category A, and in this category there are items 1, 2 and 3. Let's say that the customer chose item number 2, but it doesn't exist at the moment, is it possible to send back the form with item 2 being highlighted in red color? Or even better, a semi-transparent red box that would appear on item 2, indicating it is missing.

Thank you for your help!

Tom

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

When working with images I tend to use jpeg files. If you are using LNG make sure the colour space is RGB and that the file is saved as an 8-bit png, especially if there are transparencies.

You could include a button with fill, border or caption. Only employees would know where it exists. Clicking the button could bring up a dialog or hidden fields that would allow the employee to fill in the additional items/values. There is kind of an example here: http://assure.ly/ge8Ra9.

LC Designer does not handle transparent fills too well, but you can bring a colour back to a pastel shade. So if the item objects were in a subform, ticking a checkbox (item not available) could change the colour of the subform to a light red. I can't do up an example at the moment.

Hope that helps,

Niall

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

When working with images I tend to use jpeg files. If you are using LNG make sure the colour space is RGB and that the file is saved as an 8-bit png, especially if there are transparencies.

You could include a button with fill, border or caption. Only employees would know where it exists. Clicking the button could bring up a dialog or hidden fields that would allow the employee to fill in the additional items/values. There is kind of an example here: http://assure.ly/ge8Ra9.

LC Designer does not handle transparent fills too well, but you can bring a colour back to a pastel shade. So if the item objects were in a subform, ticking a checkbox (item not available) could change the colour of the subform to a light red. I can't do up an example at the moment.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 2

Thank you for your help. As I mentioned in another post that you replied to, I have no clue in programming, so I still don't understand how to lock and unlock the fields. I'm attaching the file I have been working on:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2t8v4451oz3y6u6

Maybe now after you can see the actual form you could help me figure out how to do it. There are 3 things that I would like to do:

1. Under the section "Midline", I would like that if I am choosing "correct", I will have the option to also between "left" and "write", and to fill their fields. Perhaps before choosing correct it should be greyed out, not invisible.

2. On the second page, after the end user would click on "send", it would be sent to the company, where they could edit the lower fields, and send it back the the end user with the "lab use only" section visible, but not accessible for editing. Then the end user would have to choose between "accept" or "reject" (if the end user would choose "reject" it would be sent againt to approval, but the form would look the same).

3. Where can I edit the input font color?

Thank you again for your help!

Level 10

Hi,

I will get to it when I can, but it will be a few days.

Niall

Level 2

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Level 10

Hi,

I have uploaded your form  here: https://acrobat.com/#d=l5u-5d4BF-HFZ-nfS5rP8g. Unfortunitely I have only had time to look at the radio buttons. Paul's LockAllFields example is available here (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3168183#3168183), but it will involve scripting.

You can edit the font colour of the caption and value portion of the fields separately or toegther in the Font palette.

Parallels Desktop2.png

See the dropdown menu to select caption, value or both.

I will try and get back to the lock all fields, but just can't do it now.

Niall

Level 2

This is exactly what I wanted! Thank you so much. I tried to look at the script, but it is really confusing since I never had to deal with programming. I would really appreciate it if you could help me with this feature

because as you mentioned it involves scripting. I hope it is not too complicated. I am aware of the effort you are putting in helping me, and again, I truely appreciate it!

Now I understand how to set the colors, but since you work on that PDF I will do it after you send it back. Since we are talking in 2 threads maybe it's better to keep this one as the main thread.

Tom

Level 10

Hi Tom,

Here is the form back: https://acrobat.com/#d=l5u-5d4BF-HFZ-nfS5rP8g.

Have a look at the preSubmit event of the send button:

// Call the LockAllFields function

myScriptObject.LockAllFields(form1);

// Unlock the labUse only subform

myScriptObject.UnlockAllFields(labUse);

The form now contains two functions. The name of the root node (form1) is passed to the LockAllFields function, while labUse is passed to the UnlockAllFields function. This is locking all the fields and then unlocking the labUse subform.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 2

Is it possible to hide the lower cotent ("lab use only" and below), so that in the first time, the end user will fill all the fields above and click "send". After sending the PDF to the company, they would be able to iput the details in the lower part, and then send it back to the end user for confirmation or rejection, and at this time they end user will be only able to fill the lower field "If rejected, please state the reason:" and click either the "accept" or "reject" buttons. Everything else would be locked. Again, in the case of rejection, the company will be able to fill the fields under "lab use only", and send it again for confirmation.

I hope it wasn't a confusing request. I apologize about my English, it is not my native tongue.

Another question is, I'm able to insert photos on the 2nd page as an end user, but I am unable to delete them (only inserting again another photo). Is there a simple way to delete a photo for the end user?

Thank you!

Level 10

Hi Tom,

See does this suit. The lab use only section is hidden. Clicking the title will make it visible. Before sending back the form, the lab would click the "lock" button. https://acrobat.com/#d=l5u-5d4BF-HFZ-nfS5rP8g

I have also added a button to remove all photographs.

Good luck,

Niall

Level 2

Niall, that is almost perfect! The last thing I need is that in case of a rejection, the company will be able to unlock the "lab use only", so they could edit some changes, and send it back for confirmation/rejection (with all the details locked again). Is that possible?

Thank you

Tom

Level 10

Hi Tom,

Can you give me a password that you would like to use and I will set up a password field for locking/unlocking. Eg, something more secure than "1234", but easy enough for lab users to remember. The password will be hard coded into the form, so you will not be able to change it later.

Niall

Level 2

later I will edit this post to delete it

Level 2

Thank you very much Niall! The form is completed. If I will have further questions in the future, I would create a new thread. Thank you very much again!

Level 2

I'm sorry, but I'm not just there yet. I entered the email address to the buttons, but when I'm choosing the option "internet mail" it saves an xml file instead of PDF. Is it possible to directly send the PDF through the send buttons?

Level 10

Hi Tom,

If you select the send button and go to the Object > Field palette. You can specify the formt for the returning data:

Parallels Desktop1.png

Please note however that if the user has Reader then the form would need to be Reader Enabled before you issue it. See here for more info: http://www.assuredynamics.com/index.php/2010/11/using-livecycle-forms-in-acrobat-and-reader/.

Niall

Level 2

I don't know why, but I don't have this option:

Clipboard01.jpg

This is my LiveCycle version:

Clipboard02.jpg

I read that article, but if I understand correctly I need to purchase another product (LiveCycle RE), so that the users could attach the photos to the form? There must be another way, or maybe I don't understand.

Level 10

Hi Tom,

Change the button to a Regular Button and set its type to Submit:

Parallels DesktopA.png

Then in the Submit tab, set the data type to PDF:

Parallels DesktopB.png

You can Reader Enable a form in Acrobat, but there are licencing restrictions. In your case it has nothing to do with the image fields and only really relates to email submissions as PDF by users with Reader.

By default a user with Reader cannot save the data in a form UNLESS the form is Reader Enabled. In order for a user to be able to use a "Submit by Email as PDF" button, they need to be able to save the form first.

If the submission is XML, then the form does not need to be Reader Enabled.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Niall

Level 2

I saved the file this way in Acrobat:

Clipboard01.jpg

Does it mean it is Reader Enabled now? Could the end users click now on the "send" button?

Regarding the "send" option, it appears that if I don't have a mail client, it would not send the file directly, and I would have to save the file into a PDF first, and then attach it manually via  web email client. In that case also the mail subject has to be inserted manually. I am aware that Acrobat is not a mail client, but isn't there a more simplified way to send these details to the company?

Level 10

Hi Tom,

Yes, the form would now be Reader Enabled. Best option would be to test it locally.

In relation to the mail client, unfortunately that is the default behaviour and can't really be changed. If the user does not have an email client, then they have to manually attach the completed form to an web email.

You could go for a HTTP submit, but that would require a backend to receive and process the submission.

Niall