Expand my Community achievements bar.

Enhance your AEM Assets & Boost Your Development: [AEM Gems | June 19, 2024] Improving the Developer Experience with New APIs and Events

PDF forms populating Access DB and vice/versa

Level 3

I have a PDF from that I published to Acrobat.com There are fields to be filled out. Problems:

1. How can I set the fields to populate into an existing MS Access DB once submitted results back to me?

2. How can the form populate upon a certain chouice criteria?

Scenerio: Form is a log file for patients seen, including name, date, room#, diagnosis codes, testing, medications, f/u. The same fields exist in MS Access but distributed among 3 tables (linked). In the PDF form I have created a New Data Connection (OLEDB), Connection string (Provider for ODBC drivers), In the Data View I see my fields from access - so for each input Binding it points to the field (i.e.: for patient name - $record.Patient.Last_Name).

But here is the rub:

1. When the first patient filed is filled, all subsequent patient names are filled with same name (and they keep just replaceing the other inputs).

2. I cannot seem to create a date calender, or have the current date default (taken from the computer time stamp).

3. I can not seem to calculate the follow/up (it's 4 weeks) from the input of the date.

4. When selecting a facility, how do I populate the fields with current patient names and previous Diagnosis (if at all possible).

5. When I created the data connection, the fill in spaces become obscured and my drop down box for facility choice stops working.

I know this is big, but any advice and help is greatly appreciated in advance. I have also attached the PDF form for analysis. Please not that there are two, one is the original prior to Life Cycle modification and the other is with the DB linking attempt.

Thanks

Shai

13 Replies

Former Community Member

Having the database woudl make this easier to debug ....can you provide it? You may have to rename the file extension to txt to allow the file to be uploaded.

The structure of the form is making this more difficult than it needs to be .....can we modify the form to fit the need?

Paul

Level 3

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply and help. I am uploading the MS Access DB (2007). Another caveat, when I chose to use the creat new connection and then chose the build - Microsoft Office 12.0 Access Databse Engine OLE DB Provider, I am not able to link into the database at all. I double checked the location and everything. I do not have any user name or password set-up and chose to leave it blank but get his error:

Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider. Could not find file 'C:\User\........'

Since I am new at this, please feel free to change any structure of the form as needed - as long as the end result will work

The set-up sounds quite easy and straight forward, but guess its a bit more complicated than I thought. I even have the book: Adobe Acrobat 9.0 in a class room - but no help there either. I am familiar with some Javascripting, so your explanations hopefully will not be over me head.

Thanks again for your dedication and help

regards

Shai

Message was edited by: Shailevit - I am not able to upload the Access database - file not allowed. it's in the .accdb format. Is there a different format that is accepted to be uploaded ? (PS: Zip doesn't seem to work either) - Thanks

Former Community Member

Rename the extension to a txt file ...then I can rename it when I recieve it.

Paul

Level 3

Paul,

Thank you for the persitent help offered. Not to many members are willing to help us newbies. I was not able to name the entire database as a text file. In MS Access - the save as only allows versions of older accdb extentions, or an upload to a server. I did save the patient and facility objects as a PDF file. Hope this helps - since I was not sure how I ccould go about renaming the entire database to a text file.

But I ran into a glitch - In the Patient DB, not all field were converted to PDF - only the first 6. The missing firld are: Proceedure, DX1, DX2, DX3 [number fields], AP, BZ, AD, MS, AIMS(check fields), GDR(check fields), F/U

Level 3

Second attempt to post the accdb extention, since it does not say on the bottom that it is not valid.

Former Community Member

You are making this too difficult ...simply rename the MDB file to a txt file and post it. I will rename it back to a txt file when I recieve it.

Paul

Level 3

Okay Paul,

Now I feel like a bit of an idiot, since I take myself as being computer savy. But I am not able to change the file to text. In Vista and Access 2007, there is no way (that I can find) to change the file extension or rename it. In the save as - options are limited to accdb (versions) or (excel, .doc and PDF - but only for the tables created - not the entire database). In documents and explorer - Not able to change file extention - only name and location. Under properties - no access to file extention to rename it.

So I am attaching the file to this email in hopes that it will get to you.

Thanks

Good times...... Good times

Shai

Former Community Member

It gets dropped from the email ....try emailing it to LiveCycle8@gmail.com

Paul

Former Community Member

OK I got our DB .....before I invest more time into this I want to make sure that I know what you want to do. I rebuilt your form for structural reasons and when it loads it will create a detail line for each record in the DB ...it is not complete ...but something like this:

screenTest.png

Level 3

Hi Paul,

Yes... that is the idea. Each line for a patient fills a seperate line in the DB.

The only other things I whish I could incorporate (and maybe even at a later time) is how can you make the fields fill in once one enters a patient name. (ie: I put John Doe in and all other field fill in from the previous entry he had from the DB) - if such a thing is even possible.

Thanks for the help. I missed your webinar lecture Wednesday. Is there another one sheduled in the near future?

regards

Shai

Former Community Member

Yes that is all possible ....it does involve a lot of code though. Do you know how to code? Will you be able to understand and support this solution going forward?

Regarding the webinar I believe it was recorded, you may want to check out the website and see if it is posted yet.

We have talked about other webinars (including DB interactions) but none have been scheduled yet.

Paul

Level 3

I am familar with some coding, nothing fancy though. Got some Java and web coding down (HTML, XML, PHP). Very basic stuff though, but I can understand the concept. Would love to sit in a webinar that expounds on the DB / PDF interactions and other coding techniques. Will keep my eyes open.

Again thanks for your help.

regards

Shai

Former Community Member

Here is what I have so far ...I have absolutely no time to look into it further. If you have trouble understand this the rest gets worse.Note that I changed the DSN connection to fit my needs you may have to change it back for your needs.

Paul