Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

PDF form info into a database

Level 2

What is the easiest way to get PDF form info into a database? I want to be able to receive the form from a customer and upload it to the database to query data. Right now I have it collecting into the "response" pdf, which I love that I have the form so I can print a hard copy, but need get totals at the end of the year for each category. I checked out this link, but did not see the solution, this seems like what I am looking for.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1356722#1356722

Thanks

Mike

4 Replies

Former Community Member

Mike,

There are a variety of ways to get data collected in a PDF interactive form into a database. It really depends upon your skill set, the tools and IT infrastructure you have at your disposal, consideration of development and maintenance costs, your preference for standards versus non-standards based solutions, and perhaps most importantly, the path of least resistance.

There is an alphabet soup of client-side, client-server, and server-side options, including:

1. ADBC - the Adobe database connectivity option you refer to

2. HTTP - submit the form data in traditional HTTP POST, submit the PDF, the XDP + XML, or the XML from the client

3. Web Services

4. Barcoded forms - put a Designer PaperFormsBarcode 2D barcode on the form to enable both paper and electronic submission

5. Acrobat automation

6. OCR

This probably isn't helping you much.... ;^)

Steve

Level 2

Thanks for the response Steve, I want to do it very simple, Customer fills out form, emails it to me, I add it to an Excel spread sheet. All manual is fine, we send out and receive very few workorders.

Mike

Former Community Member

Acrobat has tools for exporting data, including XML and .csv formats. See the toolbar Forms > Manage Form Data > Export Data. MS Excel and MS Access have tools that could then be used to import the XML or .csv files.