Expand my Community achievements bar.

numeric field not expanding with pattern?

Former Community Member

I have a numeric field with the following pattern:  num{($zzz,zz9)}

2 problems:

- it's wont' expand vertically and the $ sign disappears once you type numbers into it.

Can that be fixed?

9 Replies

Level 10

You need to select the control and Right Click -> Palettes -> Layout. Check the Expand to Fit check box for width or Height based on your need. This will allow the field to strech to fit the data entered into the field.

For having the $ displayed while editing the field, you need to set the Edit pattern for the field. Right click the Numeric field -> Patterns ->Edit.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Srini

Former Community Member

I have expand to fix checked. Also, how would the pattern change to make the $ always stay there?

Level 10

Two ways to make the $ sign appear always..

1) Place the $ character in the caption of the Numeric field. This way it will always be there in the caption and user can enter the data in the input area.

2) Change your Edit pattern to have the $ sign in it. For example you can set your edit pattern to " num{($zzzz9.99)} " which can make the $ sign remain always. You may choose a pattern matching your need from the available options.

Thanks

Srini

Former Community Member

When I use that pattern and select everything in the field and type a bunch of numbers, the $ disappears?

I also don't want a decimal.

Former Community Member

Ok adding it to the caption worked, but now I only want the characters limited to the visible amount of space horizontally and I want the numeric field to grow downward. I have expand to fit checked, but it won't move downward?

Level 10

num{($zzzz9.99)}

In the above pattern if you do not want the decimal, you can manually delete .99 at the end in the Pattern.

The above pattern works well if you enter a 5 digit number (zzzz9), if you enter more than 5 digit number it will ignore the pattern.

If you want to enter more digits to the field, then you need to add more "z" in the pattern. Remember pattern will be in effect only if you enter enough numbers corresponds to z and 9 at at the end.

You can try with different options by modifying the pattern to get what you want.

Thanks

Srini

Former Community Member

This is the pattern that I have: num{(zz,zzz,zz9)}

but when I enter in more numbers I get a small black + sign in the box?

Level 10

I tried the following to fix the problem..

1) Checked the Expand to Fit checkbox in the Layout tab. (Which youmentioned is already done)

2) In the File menu -> Form Properties, in the Default tab, I changed the PDF Render Format as Dynamic XML Form.

3) In the File menu -> Form Properties, in the Preview tab, I changed the Preview Adobe XML Form as Dynamic XML Form.

4) Saved the form as Adobe Dynamic XML form (.PDF)

May be you can try the above steps and see if it fixes your problem.

Thanks

Srini

Former Community Member

No, that didn't work, I already have all of that set up.