Expand my Community achievements bar.

New Data Connection vs Web Service

Level 2

I would like to be able to create a data connection inside my PDF form which would allow me to read data from one dataset (SQL Server table1) and write a combination of the information from this dataset along with new information entered by the PDF user to (SQL Server Table 2).  Based on everything that I have read in the forums this is possible except that I would need to setup a DNS on every machine that would have users populating data in the form.

I am inclined to make this a web form, however, "the powers that be", have grown a love for PDF forms and I've been asked to get this form online and to be fillable by users.

This leads me to some questions:

1. Would I truly have to configure DNS on every machine for using Data Connections in the PDF forms even if the form is run on a web server? 
      • This form would have to be filled out online.  Could we just set up the DNS on the server?
  2. Would I be better of trying to use a Web Service to move the data?
      • I've never worked with Web Services in this fashion and if this is the way I should go, could you point me to some good documentation or an example.
  3. Are there any other alternatives?

Thank you in advance for you input.

0 Replies