Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Make text fit TextField

Level 1

Hi

I'm new at this and do have a major (to me) prob.

I'm using LC Designer ES ver. 8.2.

I want font size to schrink as I type in a TextField, so the text allways fit and fill in a fixed sized TextField with multiline. I know how to make the TextField match the text, but I want it the other way around.

Going mad soon.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

hi,

i am using LiveCycle Designer Version 8.0, i think the same should work in E.S version also which you specified, but try this way,

To shrink the text to the text field,

Select the Text Field and then go to Font Pallete,

in the Font Pallete we have options like

Edit Caption and Value

Edit Caption

Edit Value

Select Edit Value Option and then Set Size equal to 0 and Baseline Shift equal to 0pt.

note: '0'--Zero

Then test the form with some data.

Thanks,

Madhu.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 2

hi,

i am using LiveCycle Designer Version 8.0, i think the same should work in E.S version also which you specified, but try this way,

To shrink the text to the text field,

Select the Text Field and then go to Font Pallete,

in the Font Pallete we have options like

Edit Caption and Value

Edit Caption

Edit Value

Select Edit Value Option and then Set Size equal to 0 and Baseline Shift equal to 0pt.

note: '0'--Zero

Then test the form with some data.

Thanks,

Madhu.

Level 1

Thanks, that worked fine. Do you have a solution for fitting text in an EditField without multiline too? (greedy)

I'm totally new at this (3 days now) and have had a big figth with solving it with a script - with no luck so far :-(

Level 4

Thanks tons for the info!  Huge help!

Level 3

I saw this and tried it out, except that I am having a problem with it. It shrinks, but the text starts out at a HUGE size, so you only see a very small bit until it shrinks. How do I get the font to start at the size I want and have it shrink from that?

Former Community Member

Brilliant thank you

I kept looking at the palettes on the left and top for the font size,

it's actually on the right side of the screen by default.

Level 2

What answer did you get for this?  I too have the font LARGE until it needs to shrink to fit.

Thank you,

Etta Cay

Former Community Member

Unfortunately LC doesn't have a simple box for you to type the starting font size.

But LC can accomplish what you want using scripts.

Scripts are not something to delve into if you're new to coding, they'll take some time to learn, and probably not worth the hassle for a small aesthetic issue.

If you're game, then here's a suggestion:

First you would make the text box pretty small so that the first character isn't too large.

Then the script counts the letters you type in and dynamically resizes the text field, allowing the automatic font feature described above to fill the whole box.

Here's a resource that shows you how to start:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/9.0/designerHelp/index.htm?content=000836.html