Expand my Community achievements bar.

LiveCycle ES4 and Microsoft SQL 2008 R2 will not connect

Former Community Member

I am trying to put together the most basic POC for LiveCycle ES4 with MS SQL 2008 R2 and am having no luck. I have follow multiple tutorials from both Adobe and third parties and cannot get the  most simple  data connections to happen.

Objective: Create a form with First Name and Last Name fields so that the field data can be stored in and retrieved from a MS SQL server

Configuration: Server: VM with Windows 2008 R2 and SQL 2008 R2 Client: Windows 8 local host with LiveCycle ES4 installed

For the server I followed the guidelines established by Adobe http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/11.0/PrepareInstallSingle/lc_prepare_install_single.pdf in Chapter 4

On the client i created an ODBC connection and successfully tested it.

In LiveCycle when i attempt to add a new data connection by right-clicking in the data view pane I do the following:

Select New Data Connection...

Give it a name (pdfpoc10)

Select OLEDB Database then click Next

Click Build on the Connection String

Select the Connection tab

Select my ODBC connection in the Source Data drop-down

In spite of having already put UN/PW info into the ODBC connection, I have to enter it again here in the UN/PW boxes

Test the connection, get a success message then click ok

In the resulting OLEDB Connection window the connection string is populated

IF I select Table - there is nothing there. Any entry will result in an error

IF I select SQL Query (preferred) and enter the following query: SELECT * FROM pdfdata I get the response "Could not execute the query "SELECT * FROM pdfdata"

I have tried several variations on this theme including:

SELECT * FROM pdfdata;

SELECT * FROM [pdfdata]

SELECT * FROM [pdfdata];

SELECT * FROM pdf_poc.dbo.pdfdata

SELECT * FROM pdf_poc.dbo.pdfdata;

SELECT * FROM [pdf_poc].[dbo].[pdfdata]

SELECT * FROM [pdf_poc].[dbo].[pdfdata];

All with the same result. When I execute the same query from inside SQL I get the result set I am expecting.

BTW: the SQL DB only has one table called "pdfdata" which only has three columns: id, first, last. The data exists in two rows: 1,Buggs,Bunny 2,Daffy,Duck

What am i missing to make this connection?

1 Reply

Former Community Member

On a whim I changed my Server Role on MS SQL to "sysadmin" and it worked! Clearly this cannot be the proper setting though. What should my Server Role be? The instructions I followed did not have me make any changes in that area of SQL and thus I was left with "Public".  Any guidance would be appreciated.