Expand my Community achievements bar.

Link dropdown choice to multiple text fields from access database

Former Community Member

Is there anyway to link the choice of a dropdown field so it populates other text fields?

Example:

I have created a Data Connection from a MS Access Database for a drop down list which is CompanyName.  When I choose the company name I would like it to populate First Name, Last Name, Email, Adress, etc.  Does this require a significant amount of code to do...and if so does anyone have a good book suggestion to learn the code for something like this?

Any help in solving this problem is greatly appreciate.  I have searched everywhere and found no conclusive answer.  Or maybe I am just searching in the wrong place?  Thanks for your help.

3 Replies

Former Community Member

Does the FirstName, LastName etc ... come from the DB as well?

So you are trying to fill the rest of the form out based on the record that was chosen in the DDList?

Paul

Former Community Member

Paul,

Thank you for the response. Yes, I have been able to link the DDList to the MS Access Database but now would like the other fields such as name, address, email, etc. to fill from that database record. Any thoughts you have on how to achieve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Former Community Member

You will have to make another data connection and create a SQL call to the DB that will incorporate the selection made in the DDList. This will involve code. There is a sample wriiten by Stefan Cameron at this location:

http://forms.stefcameron.com/2006/09/29/selecting-specific-database-records/

Paul