Expand my Community achievements bar.

Is there a way to make a dynamic text field that pushes text below it?

Level 1

I have a PDF document made in Adobe Acrobat. There are text fields within the document where users can type a paragraph. Unfortunately the text fields are of fixed size, so when a user types in more text than the text field can accommodate, a scroll bar occurs instead of displaying all of the text. If I recreate the document in LiveCycle ES2, is there any way to make the text field dynamic so that when a user exceeds the text field size, the field increases in size and pushes all of the subsequent text downward to accommodate the expanding text field? And so that when we print said document, all of the inputted text shows?

Any help would be tremendous. Thanks!

5 Replies

Level 1

Thanks for the detailed reply and example. I have been having a similar problem with expanding text boxes flowing over the fields below instead of pushing them down. The text box is set to multiple lines and to expand vertically (on Y). The sub forms are set to flow and "allow page breaks within content" is enabled. What am I missing? I am doubly confused because the sub forms are displaying an error message that states: "This object may not work properly. Although the object is allowed to break, deselecting the Allow page breaks within content option of the parent object restricts this object from breaking between pages."

I double checked that the allow break option is selected for both the sub form and for the text box itself. I am new to LiveCycle so please feel free to suggest the basic and obvious. Any help is appreciated.

Also, have not been able to figure out how to get the report palette to display, even though it is enabled under the window tab. So if you direct me there, please add an explanation on how to view it.

Thanks!

Level 10

Take a good look at the structure of the sample above. All of the subforms that need to move need to be in flowed subforms.

You have objects outside of the subform that is flowing. You may need to wrap the entire structure in a flowed subform or move the objects that aren't flowing into the subform that is flowing.

Level 1

Okay - making progress! Thank you so much for those tips. Put the whole document into a flowing subform and now the expanding text fields are pushing the other objects down. However, they are getting pushed off the page and disappearing as opposed to what I expected... that they would run onto the next page and push my 4 page form into a 5 or 6 page document - whatever the amount of the text entered required. "Allow page breaks within content" is enabled. (BTW, The tab labeled "Pagination" is all greyed out if that matters). Is there a way to make the content flow onto additional pages?

Level 10

It sounds like one of the subforms is not set to allow page breaks. Not sure why the pagination tab would be greyed out.