Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

I am getting the Microsoft C++ Runtime Error in Designer when I try to unwrap a subform

Level 2

I am working on fixing a form in Designer.

I am using LC Designer ES2 on Windows 7.

The form was originally inported from a PDF asset that was created with some other software program.

The last developer worked through the code, and did an okay job - but I am going through and doing some cleanup.

As part of the cleanup work, I am having to unwrap a subform that contains a ton of objects including more subforms.

The issue is that everytime I try to unwrap or delete the subform, Designer instantly crashes and I get the Microsoft C++ Runtime Error seen here:

DesignerError.png

Now - I am aware that one possible fix to this is to go into ~user\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat and delete the 9.0 folder to reset a corrupted profile - but this does not fix the problem.

Does anyone have any idea why this would happen every time that I try to unwrap or delete this subform?

And if so - does anyone know a possible fix?

If you require more data about my system setup or about the assets I am using, just ask and I will be happy to provide more information.

Please let me know - and thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Thanks -

Ben L.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Well, I don't know if was a best-practice fix - but in MacGuyver-style, I renamed the file extention.

myForm.xdp to myForm.xdp.xml

Then I opened the file in Notepad ++, did a search for the subform name (as it appeared in Designer).

There I found I found the <subform> tag - so I deleted that tag and its matching, closing tag to eliminate that wrapping.

Then I renamed the extention to XDP, reopened in Designer, and now it appears to be working.

Pro-tip for those that don't know and may find themselves in a similar situation to me, XDP forms are essentailly just XML - so if you can read and navigate the XML, you can fix things like this.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 2

Well, I don't know if was a best-practice fix - but in MacGuyver-style, I renamed the file extention.

myForm.xdp to myForm.xdp.xml

Then I opened the file in Notepad ++, did a search for the subform name (as it appeared in Designer).

There I found I found the <subform> tag - so I deleted that tag and its matching, closing tag to eliminate that wrapping.

Then I renamed the extention to XDP, reopened in Designer, and now it appears to be working.

Pro-tip for those that don't know and may find themselves in a similar situation to me, XDP forms are essentailly just XML - so if you can read and navigate the XML, you can fix things like this.