Expand my Community achievements bar.

Don’t miss the AEM Skill Exchange in SF on Nov 14—hear from industry leaders, learn best practices, and enhance your AEM strategy with practical tips.

How to Optimize an xml PDF that has already been filled out

Level 1

I have created a pdf file in Livecycle and forgot to uncheck embed fonts. I have already sent out the pdf form and Extended Features in Adobe Reader.  I have received over 300 forms back. Is there anyway to reduce the file size with forms already filled out? Are there any work arounds?

PLEASE HELP!! I appreicate any assistance you can provide.

6 Replies

Level 8

Can you export the data from the filled out PDFs and import it into a new PDF that doesn't have embedded fonts?

Kyle

Level 1

That does work. But is there a way to batch this so I don't have to export each form individually?

Thank you for your response!

Level 8

You can use Acrobat's Action Wizard.

Create a new action and execute this JavaScript on the folder of your PDFs:

vName = this.documentFileName.replace(/\.pdf$/i,".xml");

xfa.host.exportData(vName,0);

Kyle

Level 1

Kyle: Thank you so much this worked wonderfully!!!

I hate to ask this, but do you have a javascript for the importing process. I have not been able to find one thus far. Thank you so much. You have no idea how many hours I have spent trying to troubleshoot this issue.

Level 8

Although there is a way to use the Action Wizard to re-import the XML it can be tedious to appropriately rename all the XML files.

I made a web app that my department uses to batch update all the PDFs that the recipients filled out into the latest version of the PDF.

I made a standalone version you can use here.

This application is AS IS. Use at your own risk and expense.

I'll expect my cheque in the mail ; )

Kyle

Level 1

You are not kidding! I should send you a check in the mail. That is a fantastic tool! Thank you so much, you just saved me hours of work.