Expand my Community achievements bar.

Don’t miss the AEM Skill Exchange in SF on Nov 14—hear from industry leaders, learn best practices, and enhance your AEM strategy with practical tips.
SOLVED

How to mask SSN?

Level 2

I want to be able to mask a SSN that is displayed on a Form. For example, the user would enter nine digits for the SSN, but when displaying on the form and for printing purposes the field gets masked as ***-**-9999 for security purposes. When saving the SSN to the database the entire nine digits are captured.

I tried to manipulate the Validation Pattern in the Display tab for that object to something like text{***-**-9999}, but nothing seems to work there. Has anyone else tried to do something similar? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Hi Mike,

Patterns aren't intended to perform this kind of character replacement. Here is some code that will do the trick - the only catch is you will have to add a hidden field to hold the SSN for binding.

I created 2 fields, form1.page1.subform1.ssnMasked and form1.page1.subform1.ssn. The exit script on ssnMasked is as follows:

// form1.page1.subform1.ssnMasked::exit - (JavaScript, client)

if (form1.page1.subform1.ssnMasked.rawValue != null) {

var ssn = form1.page1.subform1.ssnMasked.rawValue;

var regExp = /^(\d{9}|\d{3}-\d{2}-\d{4})$/;

if (regExp.test(ssn)) {

regExp = /^\d{9}/;

if (regExp.test(ssn)) {

this.rawValue = "***-**-" + ssn.substring(5,9);

form1.page1.subform1.ssn.rawValue = ssn;

}

else {

this.rawValue = "***-**-" + ssn.substring(7,11);

ssn = ssn.substring(0,3) + ssn.substring(4,6) + ssn.substring(7,11);

}

}

else {

xfa.host.messageBox("SSN must be in the form 123-45-6789 or 123456789.","SSN Error",0,0);

xfa.host.setFocus("form1.page1.subform1.ssnMasked");

}

}

You can enter the SSN in form1.page1.subform1.ssnMasked as 123-45-6789 and 123456789, otherwise validation fails. If validation passes, both fields are re-constructed accordingly. The field for binding, form1.page1.subform1.ssn, will be in the format 123456789.

Steve

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Hi Mike,

Patterns aren't intended to perform this kind of character replacement. Here is some code that will do the trick - the only catch is you will have to add a hidden field to hold the SSN for binding.

I created 2 fields, form1.page1.subform1.ssnMasked and form1.page1.subform1.ssn. The exit script on ssnMasked is as follows:

// form1.page1.subform1.ssnMasked::exit - (JavaScript, client)

if (form1.page1.subform1.ssnMasked.rawValue != null) {

var ssn = form1.page1.subform1.ssnMasked.rawValue;

var regExp = /^(\d{9}|\d{3}-\d{2}-\d{4})$/;

if (regExp.test(ssn)) {

regExp = /^\d{9}/;

if (regExp.test(ssn)) {

this.rawValue = "***-**-" + ssn.substring(5,9);

}

else {

this.rawValue = "***-**-" + ssn.substring(7,11);

ssn = ssn.substring(0,3) + ssn.substring(4,6) + ssn.substring(7,11);

}

}

else {

xfa.host.messageBox("SSN must be in the form 123-45-6789 or 123456789.","SSN Error",0,0);

xfa.host.setFocus("form1.page1.subform1.ssnMasked");

}

}

You can enter the SSN in form1.page1.subform1.ssnMasked as 123-45-6789 and 123456789, otherwise validation fails. If validation passes, both fields are re-constructed accordingly. The field for binding, form1.page1.subform1.ssn, will be in the format 123456789.

Steve

Level 2

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response! This works like a charm and is exactly what I am looking for.

Regards,

Mike

Level 1

I'm trying to create a java script that will show all digits if a check box is checked but mask the first 5 digits if the box is unchecked.  Is this even possible?

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----