Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

how to make subform's overflow trailer working

Former Community Member

Hi,

It's appreciate if you have suggestions on issue described below.

I have a static form design with table tblItemList.

I want to use overflow trailer on this table, accordingly I did follows:

1) wrap tblItemList into subform frmTableItemList. ( flowed, top to bottom)

2) define subform overflowTrailer, positioned, hidden

3) define frmTableItemList "object"

->Pagination-> Overflow trailer: overflowTrailer

->Subform -> "Allow page breaks within Content"

Problem:

overflowTrailer is not appear when page breaks.

Here is the form design xdp file.

https://acrobat.com/#d=STCRga5xg62XQszcKw9-tQ

Here is the sample data you can use to reproduce problem:

https://acrobat.com/#d=Yi1EKDA*zBnNpZAmESQ6tw

Here is the hierarchy screen-shot:

DNote-overflowtrailer.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

Here break/overflow is per page so leader/trailer required to check that repeat box. Please check the "To create and assign overflow leaders and trailers" topic in designers help for more details.

Raghu.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 6

Issue is overflowtrailer is not checked to repeat(select the subform got properties Object -> Binding Tab -> Check Repeat for each data item).

also place the overflow trailer/leader under Referenced Objects under hirarchy, so that it will work properly.

you can see the difference with overflow trailer/leader placed in usual subform and under Referenced Objects - if not placed under referenced objects the trailer will come at the end (in ur case Table will be continued....) even u dont have any more to show.

updated version of ur file: https://acrobat.com/#d=56in34EalXXQrglZon-iOg

Raghu.

Former Community Member

Tons of thanks! The updated version works perfectly.

So put the  overflow trailer/leader under Referenced Objects making them turning into a "proto" element but not an ordinary "subform", correct?

Yes you're right that I have to check "repeat for each data item" both for overflow header/trailer.

However I'm still confused why it's mandatory.

As far as I understand, the "proto" elements are applied to subform frmTableItemList ( which is wrapping the table), or rather, are applied to this table's property "break".

<subform w="176mm" layout="tb" name="frmTableItemList">

<break overflowTrailer="#overflowTrailer1_ID" overflowLeader="#overflowLeader_ID"/>
            <?templateDesigner expand 1?>

</subform>

So if pagebreak happened to frmTableItemList, there should always be header/trailer appeared ( though in fact there isn't if not checking "repeat" option). This is what I expected.

Why I have to check the "repeat" option for overflow trailer/header?

Thanks again for help.

Just for intuitive purpose, following is the screenshot for structure of the xml.

overflow.PNG

Correct answer by
Level 6

Here break/overflow is per page so leader/trailer required to check that repeat box. Please check the "To create and assign overflow leaders and trailers" topic in designers help for more details.

Raghu.