Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How to Make a Text Field Grow (no scrollbar)

Level 1

First of all, thank you for your time - I'm on a deadline to produce and I'm freakin' out that this may not be possible.

All I am trying to do is build a simple form that has about (7) text fields.  Each one of these text fields could contain anywhere from one sentence to six paragraphs of narrative.  All I want the text field's box to do is grow along with the content and break to another page if needed.  I've been able to create a Text field that allows the lengthy data to be entered (multiple lines / expand to fit Y), but the text field's box does not grow, it adds a scroll bar instead!  Sadly, this is not what I need.  I need the narrative to be easily visible for viewing and print-out.

Can you please help me?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 6

Here is a sample which explains it self.....

oh..oh....I do not see option to attach any file.....I am sure I did that earlier 

Here is how I did that....just an example.....

1. Open a new blank template.

2. In the Body page select (Untitled Subform) (page1)....name it to First_Sub

3. Drop Textfield in First_Sub and set Hight: "Expand to fit" and "Allow Multiple Lines" in Layout and Object>>Field pallets respectively.

4. Now in Higerarchy pallet select "Fisr_Sub" then set Hight: "Expand to fit" in Layout Pallet

5. Then under Object>>Subform pallet set "Allow Page brakes with in content"

6. Do not forget save this as Dynamic form

7. Try it out now....that should do what you are looking for.

Good luck,

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 6

Subforms that contain each text field.  set subform to flow

Level 1

I'm sorry, but that procedure did not work.  I still get a scrollbar and a little plus sign.

I created the text field (allow multiple lines, expand to fit), wrapped it in a subform (flowed, expand height, allow page breaks), then tried setting parent subform to both positioned and flowed.  That didn't work so I changed the subform containing the text field to positioned with the parent subform to flowed - no luck.  I toggled the form properties to both static and dynamic with these settings, no joy.

You wouldn't happen to have a sample form where this works properly would you?  Maybe I could take a look at the settings.

Thank you for helping...I'm freakin' out.  The project I'm working on is largely dependent on this form.

Hillyman

Correct answer by
Level 6

Here is a sample which explains it self.....

oh..oh....I do not see option to attach any file.....I am sure I did that earlier 

Here is how I did that....just an example.....

1. Open a new blank template.

2. In the Body page select (Untitled Subform) (page1)....name it to First_Sub

3. Drop Textfield in First_Sub and set Hight: "Expand to fit" and "Allow Multiple Lines" in Layout and Object>>Field pallets respectively.

4. Now in Higerarchy pallet select "Fisr_Sub" then set Hight: "Expand to fit" in Layout Pallet

5. Then under Object>>Subform pallet set "Allow Page brakes with in content"

6. Do not forget save this as Dynamic form

7. Try it out now....that should do what you are looking for.

Good luck,

Level 6

Height of the field never gets adjusted wile in edit more. It only gets adjusted/relay out only after user exits the field. I see no work around for this.

Level 1

Thank you so much for the assistance.  As soon as I get back to my workstation I will give it a shot.

When I agreed to build the form, my only concern was the need for the text fields to grow with the content.  So, when I opened the blank form in Designer I created a subform and a text field with what I thought were the appropriate settings and gave it a test run.  Since the form only had the single text field, I don't think I ever tabbed out of the field I was trying to get to expand.  I guess what I am trying to say is - thank you for the second post.

Hillyman

Level 1

We are in business!

Thank you to everyone who was kind enough to lend me the time to resolve my dilemma.  I'm not too sure what to do about the fact that the field does not expand until the user tabs out of the field, but the fields expand and that is what they asked me to get done.

I am going to distribute this form to a number of people around the world, and I am going the PDF route to help ensure that everyone can view and edit the form regardless of the software they have on their machine.  Since it is dynamic, they may need to download a newer version of Adobe Reader - but at least I can be sure they won't have to go out and buy software to fill the form.  While a Word form might have the fields expand as the content is entered, I am afraid that some of the recipients may not have the right version or not have it at all.

Anyway - thanks guys!