Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

How to get a hidden subform to appear?

Former Community Member

In my Adobe LCD book it tells me I can do all this nifty stuff with invisible and hidden subforms and objects. But it doesn't go into detail as to HOW to do it.

I know I need to set the presence of the subform to hidden... but after that??

Background:

I am creating a dynamic form which will have 2 radio buttons at the very top -

one for "changes required"

one for "no changes required"

Between the radio buttons and signature boxes I have a subform (with some instructions and a text field) with presence set to Hidden (exclude from Layout).

At the bottom of the form are signature boxes.

Two problems -

1) The space where the hidden subform is stays exactly the same - in other words, the signature boxes do not move up.

2) In the interest of having a nice, tidy printout, I want to have the subform containing the instructions and the info text field appear when "changes required" is selected. I know this is not a big deal except that I cannot find a simple instruction on how to do it.

I appreciate help - everyone has been so good to me on this forum. I hope someone can come through for me again. Even if you provide an example from which I can extrapolate the answer, or a snippet of code, or anything. I find that many books and help systems speak to what the software can do but without explaining how we actually make it work. Thank you!

Marla

3 Replies

Level 10

Hi Maria,

Your first problem sounds like the subform containing the two optional subforms has position content instead of flows.

Not sure about your second problem, do you mean that the instructions are printed out regardless of the selection of the radio buttons?  If so you could put the script in the pre-print and post-print events.

Regards

Bruce

Former Community Member

Hi Bruce, thanks for your reply.

I think I was not clear in my question, though you have a point about the subforms.

My form is 1 page. It's dynamic, but I don't have fields that will be expanding down the page.

What I want to happen is when someone clicks the "Change Needed" radio button, a subform appears with a text box of instruction and a text field in which the person can type what the changes are.

Initially, when someone sees this form, it is not visible. Only upon clicking the Change Needed button does it appear. Or at least, that is what I want to make happen.

I decided that it's not important that the signature boxes at the bottom move at all whether the Change subform is visible or not, based on the clicked button.

Does that explain better what I want to happen? It's pretty simple yet I cannot figure it out. Do I use java script? Do I type something somewhere? What tools do I use to make this appear?

thanks

Level 10

Hi,

The subform containing the instructions and textbox will have a presence scripting property which can be set to "hidden" or "visible".  So in the change event of the RadioButtonList you will need to test for which button is selected and update this property.  So if your subform was called "Changes" and you set the values of your radio buttons to "no changes required" or "changes required" (it will default to a number, 1,2,3, etc ... but this makes the code read better) then you will need some code like;

if (this.rawValue === "no changes required")
{
Changes.presence = "hidden";
}
else
{
Changes.presence = "visible";
}

Instead of using "hidden" you might also want to use "invisible", as this will leave space that the subform takes up.

Good luck

Bruce