Expand my Community achievements bar.

how to disable or hide SAVE and SAVE AS options in acrobat reader form

Level 5

I created a form and In Acrobat Pro I save it like Reader Extended PDF --> Enable Additional Features. When I open form in Acrobat Reader in File menu that it has options SAVE and SAVE AS. What need to do to disable SAVE and SAVE AS option or hide these options in Acrobat Reader and don't allow users to save the form. The users should be allow only print the form. How it to do?

4 Replies

Level 1

Good morning,

I am also facing the same problem. I already have a form created, have disabled all permissions, but the save as button remains enabled. I managed to disable using the enhanced security, which enable for all files. But when I enable this option button is again enabled.

Level 10

You can use a folder level script with the app.hideMenuItem() method to hide the menus in Acrobat/Reader, but you cannot disable the function generally.

Users still can use Ctrl + S to save the form.

Why do you want to hide those menu items when you apply the Uasage Rights to your form?

Level 1

We have a client that requires any document to be saved. Through the webservice to send the customer a patch pdf file. At runtime create the necessary restrictions, depending on the users: save, print, copy .... For Member Webcams that has no right, in this case, this User can not save the file. With the Save As option enabled, you can save the file. We try to check the Preferences menu, option, Advanced Security. Have enabled the display for all protected files. When the PDF is opened displays a message: "Protected View: This file is sourced from a logal potentially unsafe." While this message was activated the option is disabled to save as. Thought to hide this message, but it does not know how.

Level 10

So, if you need to show or hide the menu items depending on the current file, the only way would be to install a folder level script on any client system.

This script is loaded when the app is launched.

You can add a logic which checks the file names or uses a variable from within the forms to decide if the save menus are available or not.

Keep in mind, that this method will show/hide menu items for the entire session of the application, so a hidden menu item will be still hidden when you open a second file in a new window.

To avoid that, you script needs to check all active documents and decide what to do or not.

The work-around you actually use with the Protected Mode is unrewarding in my mind.