Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.
SOLVED

How is schema associated with a data source?

Level 2

Hi,

Could someone explain to me please how a schema-based "Data Connection" in Designer populates data? As in, how do you specify the data source for which the schema applies?

Where does the actual data come from....is it a web application, a Web Service, a database or an XML file?

Where can I find good examples of this?

I've looked high and low but cannot find any good examples on the actual data source that ties in with the XML schema.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi Ray,

Pre-populating data into a form using the 'XML Schema' data connection is performed on the server as part of a LiveCycle ES process.

As this is a common question that I get from my clients, I have written a detailed blog, explaining your options for pre-population.

Ben Walsh

www.avoka.com

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Former Community Member

When you define a new Data Connection using the wizard you are asked whether or not this connection will be to a Schema, Database, XML or a Webservice via a WSDL file.  If you select a Schema then you are setting the foundation for the format of the data that is inserted and extracted from the form.

For the sample and documentation, how do you plan on populating and extracting data from the form?

Lee.

Level 2

Originally we had planned on using a Web Service operation that would be able to populate fields on our form after a request is submitted.

However, I'd like to see what other approaches can provide as the WSDL approach may not satisfy all our requirements. (I raised a possible issue in this discussion earlier: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/425997?tstart=0)

If we do use the schema approach then what are our options as the actual source from which the data comes or how is this even configured?

Does this approach offer anything that the WSDL approach can't?

At a high level my project involves the following:

1. Letter "templates" are created in Designer that consist of fields bound to a data source.

2. Down the line, these templates are converted into an actual PDF letter using the LiveCycle ES services (I presume) and the fields are populated with data from our source (based on a request ID)

Hope this makes sense.

Level 2

Sorry for the bump but can someone please provide some (high level) info on how this is done .

If I use an XML schema as my "Data Connection" in LiveCycle Desiger (client application) how is the actual data source configured? Is this done via the server side components?

Thanks again.

Former Community Member

This has nothing to do with the server. When you point a dataconnection to a schema, the schema (XSD file) is read and a datadom on the client is created to reflect the structure of the schema. From that point on the schema is not required.

Paul

Level 2

OK, but how do you go about specifying a "source" for this datadom? I know it'll be an XML file that matches the defined schema but how do you about configuring the source of this XML or where do you configure it?

I can understand that the "WSDL" or "OLEDB Database" and "Sample XML Data" Data Connection methods are themselves datasources, but I don't understand how the source for the "XML Schema" method is configured.

Thanks

Former Community Member

When you choose that a dialog will pop up allow you tho choose the xsd file from your hard drive. You must have your schema file locally available on your machine.

Paul

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi Ray,

Pre-populating data into a form using the 'XML Schema' data connection is performed on the server as part of a LiveCycle ES process.

As this is a common question that I get from my clients, I have written a detailed blog, explaining your options for pre-population.

Ben Walsh

www.avoka.com