Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

how do I prefill an xdp/pdf and then submit the completed form to database

Former Community Member

I would like to send prefilled data into the xdp/pdf file.

The starting point would be a web page, with a link that directs the user to the xdp/pdf file and prefill that form with some data from the url link.  Then  let the person complete the rest of the form and click on a submit button which would send the form to a url so I can process the data into a datbase.

I did this in the past with Acrobat 5. 

Now I have Acrobat Pro 10 with lifecycle designer.

I am looking for tutorial on this material.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Dean-O

6 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

Maybe this link will help, http://forms.stefcameron.com/2006/10/20/using-url-requests-in-pdf-forms/

I assume you have none of the LiveCycle server products available?

Regards

Bruce

Former Community Member

Thanks for your reply... but i don't believe that does not apply to PDFs and XDP files created in Life Cycle... unless I missed something.  Please advise.

XDP files are the new form tool for Adobe, but not sure I like the change.  They have gotten rid of the document level javascripts, which is what would be used to populate a PDF, but not an XDP file.

Any others have any ideas on how I can create a link in a web page that would point to an xdp file (new adobe form) and send in url parameters to prefill fields in the form?

Thanks in advance

Dean-O

Level 10

Hi,

This works fine for a PDF created from LiveCycle Designer, the sample on Stefan's site is a PDF created from LiveCycle Designer.

I am not sure what a document level JavaScript is but a LiveCycle form has script objects, which allows you to have script available to any part of your form, but unless you have hard codes values to populate your form I guess they must be something different.

Regards

Bruce

Former Community Member

I need to populate the xdp file  or  don't I?  If I have a folder with the xdp and the pdf in the same folder and I have javascript in the xdp file, will it interact with the pdf form fields?

Level 10

I am probably missing something here.  I assume you have created a PDF from the XDP template.  So the JavaScript that was in the XDP is now in the PDF and has the same access to form fields., Bruce

Former Community Member

I did not know that they javascript got copied to the pdf.  Thanks that helps

Dean-O