Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.
SOLVED

How can I enforce automatic spell checking for selected fields of data entered by form users?

Level 1

I'd like to be able to enforce spell checking of selected fields in the forms that I've created using LiveCycle Designer 8.2 at run time, as opposed to design time.  I understand the version LCD 8 has a nifty new spell checker for form designers.  But I want to spell check the data entered by users using Acrobat Reader.  And I want to enforce the spell checking automatically on selected fields only.

Presently it seems that users filling in my forms, must know how to manually right-click on each field and select "Spell Check" from the resulting dialog box in order to check for spelling errors in the data the user has entered in the form.

I would like to discover a way to enforce spell checking in selected fields, just as I am able to do in forms created using Acrobat Pro.  In Acrobat Pro, I can set a property for each field to require spell checking.  but that feature seems to be missing in Livecycle Designer.

I've check the Object model for XFA forms hoping that I might find a method I can call with a Javascript, to check spelling based on an event such as onBlur.  But I haven't found a spell check method.

Am I missing something simple?  Is there a way to set each field to be spell checked when a user is filling in the form using the free Acrobat Reader?

Our users are not sophisticated and requiring them to spell check each field separately just won't cut it...

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-David Bartholomew

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi David,

Two things...

At design time set the locale of the form to one that Acrobat spell checks. For example English (US) and English (UK) locales have spell checkers; however English (Ireland) does not. Check the Warnings tab to see if spell checking is supported for your locale.

If your form locale supports spell checking then you can go to the button script below.

If you form locale does NOT support spell checking then Stephanie has a great work around to force spell checking (http://forums.adobe.com/message/2233945#2233945).

Bring a regular button onto the form and in the click event have the following:

app.execMenuItem("Spelling:Check Spelling");

Which will open the spell checker for all fields.  Thanks to Paul for extracting all of the accessible menu items (http://forums.adobe.com/message/1912914#1912914).

Good luck,

Niall

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi David,

Two things...

At design time set the locale of the form to one that Acrobat spell checks. For example English (US) and English (UK) locales have spell checkers; however English (Ireland) does not. Check the Warnings tab to see if spell checking is supported for your locale.

If your form locale supports spell checking then you can go to the button script below.

If you form locale does NOT support spell checking then Stephanie has a great work around to force spell checking (http://forums.adobe.com/message/2233945#2233945).

Bring a regular button onto the form and in the click event have the following:

app.execMenuItem("Spelling:Check Spelling");

Which will open the spell checker for all fields.  Thanks to Paul for extracting all of the accessible menu items (http://forums.adobe.com/message/1912914#1912914).

Good luck,

Niall

Level 1

Thanks SO MUCH!

This is what I needed.  I added two buttons, one at the top and one at the bottom of each of my three forms.  Then I added the script to the Javascript click event,

app.execMenuItem("Spelling:Check Spelling"); as you indicated, and set the buttons to be visible only on screen, so they won't print.

Actually, I created one such button, then copied it to the bottom of form one, and was also able to paste it to the other two forms in LCD 8.2, so it was a snap.

You get an "A" for my Applause and Appreciation for your Answer.

Thanks again,

-David