Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

How can I add .PNG images to templates without getting a white background?

Former Community Member

I'm having problems with a image field when I add a .png image which doesnt have a background it is showing up with a white background. Is it possible to use images in templates so you can overlay them on something else?

image.PNG

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi, You can do this but only with a PNG with a palette of 256 colors (maybe GIF as well) so doesn't get a lot of use, good enough for image buttons and the like, but might be ok for your image as it does not have that many colors. Otherwise radzmar's suggestion would be the better approach.

188993_450_312_cache.1.png

This is the link I was tring to find (in your previous thread) that tells how to do it using GIMP (a free image editor), http://smartforms.business.gov.au/DeveloperResources/Pages/HintsandTips.aspx ,  but the one I have uploaded here comes from photoshop (in photoshop it is called an indexed png).

Regards

Bruce

p.s. I'm always on the lookout for a new beer to try if this one you would recommend? 3% and all.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

this isn't possible as the image fields don't support transparency.

Only RGB images (gif, tiff, jpg, png) with 8Bit color depth are supported.

The best would be to arrage all images before in a graphic app (like Photoshop) and only use one image field in the form.

This will generally reduce the file size of your form.

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi, You can do this but only with a PNG with a palette of 256 colors (maybe GIF as well) so doesn't get a lot of use, good enough for image buttons and the like, but might be ok for your image as it does not have that many colors. Otherwise radzmar's suggestion would be the better approach.

188993_450_312_cache.1.png

This is the link I was tring to find (in your previous thread) that tells how to do it using GIMP (a free image editor), http://smartforms.business.gov.au/DeveloperResources/Pages/HintsandTips.aspx ,  but the one I have uploaded here comes from photoshop (in photoshop it is called an indexed png).

Regards

Bruce

p.s. I'm always on the lookout for a new beer to try if this one you would recommend? 3% and all.

Former Community Member

Thanks guys that seems to work pretty good with lower res images. Bruce definitely don't try this beer it is horrible, also it is mid strength so it's a bit of a waste of money. Little Creatures Pale Ale is the way to go.

Cheers

James