Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Hidden objects triggered by a selection

Level 2

How do you hide an object that is viewed only when triggered by the selection of another object?  Meaning, if I click the check box, then only will I see the fields for entering an address?  But if the check box is never checked, then that address field is never visible.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Ah, I see.  My script was using Javascript syntax.  One option is to change the scripts Language in the drop down in the script editor to Javascript, which will fix your syntax error.

Or you can use the equivalent script below which is updated for FormCalc

if ($.rawValue == "1") then

TextField10.presence = "visible"

else

TextField10.presence = "hidden"

endif

They are different languages with different syntax.  In formcalc the equivalent of 'this' is '$'.  Also you will notice the 'if' syntax requires the 'then' keyword and needs the closing 'endif' keyword as well.

that should fix things.

Scott

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Former Community Member

You can do this by adding a "change" script for the checkbox

Let's say we drag on a text field and name it myAddressField.  On the object palette, mark the presence property as hidden.  Next drag on a check box field and add a change event script (if you can't see the script editor choose Window->Script Editor from the menus) and add the following script

if (this.rawValue == "1")

myAddressField.presence = "visible";

else

myAddressField.presence = "hidden";

script.jpg

If you then do a PDF Preview, you can click on the check box to show the field, and click on it again to hide it.  Note, you can show or hide multiple fields this way i.e.

{

someOtherField.presence = "visible";

}

else

{

myAddressField.presence = "hidden";

someOtherField.presence = "hidden";

}

FYI.

Scott

Level 2

Sott,

I'm getting a syntax error.  I made the presence for my address field 'hidden (exclude from layout)'  it's the only hidden option I have. Then added the change script to the check box.  What have I missed?'

Thanks for your help.

Former Community Member

Are you saying that you've updated the script like this?

else

myAddressField.presence = "hidden (exclude from layout)";

The Designer UI show's the extra text for clarity, but in script you need to say "hidden" for the presence value.  Valid options in script are "visible", "invisible" and "hidden".  if that isn't the problem, perhaps you're field name isn't specified correctly (case matters), or perhaps you are missing a semi colon at the end of the line?

Note the difference between "invisible" and "hidden" are that "invisible" takes up space in the layout of the form whereas hidden does not.  This comes into play when you have a flowed layout.

Scott

Level 2

This is what I have:

form1.#subform[0].CheckBox3[0]::change - (FormCalc, client)

TextField10.presence = "visible"; else

TextField10.presence = "hidden";

TextField10 is the address field I want hidden until checkbox3 is clicked.

Thanks again.

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Ah, I see.  My script was using Javascript syntax.  One option is to change the scripts Language in the drop down in the script editor to Javascript, which will fix your syntax error.

Or you can use the equivalent script below which is updated for FormCalc

if ($.rawValue == "1") then

TextField10.presence = "visible"

else

TextField10.presence = "hidden"

endif

They are different languages with different syntax.  In formcalc the equivalent of 'this' is '$'.  Also you will notice the 'if' syntax requires the 'then' keyword and needs the closing 'endif' keyword as well.

that should fix things.

Scott

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----