Expand my Community achievements bar.

Hidden Fields Dissapearing After Save

Level 2

I'm using a Click event to show two text fields that are hidden at the beginning of the document. The javascript works fine, but after the user fills these fields out and saves the form, the fields go back to being hidden. I was wondering how to fix this. Is there some sort of property I need to check off inside of the fields?

Thanks.

5 Replies

Level 8

In Designer:

File>Form Properties>Defaults. Under, "Preserve scripting changes to form when saved:" make sure "Automatically" is selected.

Kyle

Level 2

I've checked that setting and it is already set to "automatically" preserve scripting changes.

The document is saved as a dynamic form as well. Could there be any other reason that this is happening?

Level 8

Hmm, can't think of why it wouldn't be saving the state of the form. I'd have to see the form for myself.

Kyle

Level 4

This has been a known problem with LiveCycle for years. I opened a support ticket 4 years ago about this and was meet with the standard "this is an error that we do not plan to offer a fix on" from Adobe. I have a ton of forms that I use that have hidden fields that would never be set right once saved. My fix was to add an extra step onto the visibile events to add a "1" to a hidden numeric field. Then I created a docReady event with

topmostSubform.Page38[1].NumericField1::docReady - (FormCalc, client)

if ($.rawValue==1)then

xfa.resolveNode("Page38[1]").presence = "visible"

else xfa.resolveNode("Page38[1]").presence = "hidden"

endif

That way when the form was opened it would look for that 1 in the hidden field and set the fields to visible. Been doing it that way for 4 years now. Would love to stop doing this, but Adobe never offered up an actual fix for the problem. I use the same thing for setting the Attachment window to open in Livecycle forms.

Level 1

Thanks Kyle and Josh for your posts. You saved months of my work from being draged into the recycle bin.

I have built several forms useing the Hide SubForm feature. Unfortunatly, I never relaized I had this issue until just recently. For most of them Kyle's solution "...Preserve scripting changes...set to ... "Automatically" is enough to resolve the issue. For a few I had to use the "docReady" workaround that Josh provided.

The problem is that I have 1 form that has over 30 ojects (subforms, text fields...) that start off hidden and their visibility is decided based on selections made be the user. Most of the decissions are made by "actions" (Over 50 of them) . Since I am realitvely new to Java it was easier for me to create the actions or at least I thought at the time.

I was thinking that if I could just get ALL of the actions to run at "DocReady" it would save me from writing all the logic required by Josh's work around.

Is there either a cleaner solution to the problem or some command I can add to "DocReady" to run through all of my actions?