Expand my Community achievements bar.

Help improving server PDF loading time

Level 2

I have a large Adobe LifeCycle SE application (xdp 87,000 KB or 3,500KB PDF) it consists of over 130 forms (contains fragments as well).  My problem is that it is taking over 6 minutes to load into the server.  What can I do to speed up the rendering process?  any suggestions on practices for more efficient loading time?  Thanks

12 Replies

Former Community Member

Post your form in PDF format so we can have a look and see what you have done.

paul

Level 2

Paul here is the  PDF, we have tested the Dynamic at a client level (it runs fine), but we do not know why we can not load it on the server.  The other file was saved as static, it loads in the server, but it takes several minutes.

Thanks,

Diego

Former Community Member

There is no attachment here .....did you forget to attach it?

Paul

Level 2

Paul,

The PDF is been developed in-house for the insurance underwriting department of  a major Insurance Company. The pdf is considered proprietary of the company.   Is there any way I could send it to you instead of posting it?

Thanks,

Diego

Level 2

Paul,

The PDF is been developed in-house for the Insurance Underwriting

Department of Mutual of Omaha.  The pdf is considered proprietary of

Mutual.  Is there any way I could send it to you instead of posting it?

Thanks,

Diego

Level 2

Paul,

Did you receive the email with the attachments?

Thanks,

Diego

Former Community Member

Yes ...... I have not had a chance to a proper investigation yet. With it being vacation time it is very busy around here. I did find that there were references to fragments in the form (that I do not have). This is throwing lots of warnings in the log but even with those it is taking about 20-25 secs to load. These forms are very big and simply moving that volume of data through the network is taking some time. I also noticed that due to the size of the form that it is not being cached. There is a message in the log about this. Do you see the same?

I have to ask ....did you take this up with support at all?

Paul

Level 2

Our Web Engineer worked with the Adobe technicians to get the server

configured according to your specifications for RAD.  Now that the server

is running we just started testing the application.

Currently the same individual in-house that configured the server is

looking into the loading time issues.

At the server level we have:        pdfRenderSpec.setCacheEnabled(new

Boolean(true));

(Embedded image moved to file: pic32391.jpg)

At the client level it seems to be working  fine.

(Embedded image moved to file: pic14604.jpg)

Former Community Member

Are you serving up the PDF or are you using Forms to transform the xdp into a PDF?

To make sure that we do not duplicate effort I suggest that you continue working with the Adobe technicians.

There is nothing that I see (other than shear volume) that would slow this down. If you are using the xdp then I would suggest that you use the renderatClient option. This will send the xdp to the client and the transformation occurs there.

Note that because this is a form that the entire contents must be downloaded before the form can be loaded. In non-form PDFs that are larger you can stream the pdf and have part of it visible while the rest is still downloading. This is not possible with a form.

Paul

Level 2

I will be out of the office starting 07/09/2009 and will not return until

07/10/2009.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are solely for the use of the addressee. It may contain material that is legally privileged, proprietary or subject to copyright belonging to Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company and its affiliates, and it may be subject to protection under federal or state law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use of this material is strictly prohibited. If you received this transmission in error, please contact the sender immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the material from your system. Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company may archive e-mails, which may be accessed by authorized persons and may be produced to other parties, including public authorities, in compliance with applicable laws.

Level 2

I will be out of the office starting 07/09/2009 and will not return until

07/10/2009.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are solely for the use of the addressee. It may contain material that is legally privileged, proprietary or subject to copyright belonging to Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company and its affiliates, and it may be subject to protection under federal or state law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use of this material is strictly prohibited. If you received this transmission in error, please contact the sender immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the material from your system. Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company may archive e-mails, which may be accessed by authorized persons and may be produced to other parties, including public authorities, in compliance with applicable laws.