Expand my Community achievements bar.

Help Developing an Interactive Form

Level 1

Let me start out saying that I am VERY new to creating my own forms – using LiveCycle. So far I haven’t been able to locate information or anyone who knows how to help me out.

I am trying to create Self-Assessments and Performance Appraisals.

However, I do not simply want the appraisers to check boxes etc. I want them to fill in the forms with narratives for certain questions. Is there a way to have a text field or something that would expand as the person types – so that it can also be viewed in print form?

In other words, if the person types 3 lines – that’s the size of the box. If they type 10 lines – it expands to allow all of the lines to be viewed and printed.

Thank you!

6 Replies

Level 1

I would recommend going into help and trying the Creating an office function survey form in the quick start tutorials. It doesn't take long to go through, and I learned a lot about making forms! It shows how to do textboxes and everything!

Former Community Member

Yes you can have boxes expand to fit the text except that while the user is typing scroll bars will appear ...... the field will only resize after the user exits the field.

Level 1

golfscorecentral - thanks for your reply.  I have gone thru the Help and I do know how to create the text boxes etc.  However, I have yet to find how the end-user can complete the form in the manner I mentioned above.

Thanks again, though.

Level 1

Okay - so I'm using the text field for the end-user to fill in - right?  When I 'test' this, it just continues one long never ending line.  I am not seeing a scroll bar come up even after I move on to the next field.  I do see a black box with a white 'x' pop up in the corner of the field.  But nothing happens if I click it or anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Former Community Member

First you have to make the field multi-line (on the Object palette). Then you have to allow the field to expand in the y direction (on the Layout palette). Then the field must be in a flowable subform for it to expand and lastly the form must be saved as a dynamic PDF to allow for this functionality. If you look at the Dynamic Interactive Purchase Order sample the Comments field is set up like this.

Paul

Level 1

pguerett - FANTASTIC!!

I feel like I'm on the right track now.  Thank you so much for your help!