Expand my Community achievements bar.

Getting a thumbnail of XFA forms

Level 3

Hi - my company offers XFA PDFs for sale online, but want to give the viewer a preview of the document/form - or a large thumnail. This is possible for Acroforms and other docs they have, but not for the XFA forms. I have searched around for a solution, but have found nothing. Is there any way to do this?

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

If the form is saved as a 'Static form', then a preview will be available.

If the form is saved as a 'Dynamic XML form', then the preview will only be available if the target version is set to Acrobat/Reader v7 in the File > Form Properties > Defaults tab.

Both of these options have potentially limiting impacts on your forms.

Niall

Level 3

Thanks Niall

- is there no workaround for dynamic forms targetted at v8, which all my forms are for several reasons?

If not, is this not something Adobe can re-introduce, or suggest a workaround.

Level 10

Hi,

As far as I know there is no work around. I doubt if this is going to change any time soon. This behaviour can be seen in many places, XFA form attachments in emails, forms opened on the web, file explorer, etc.

Acrobat X is available now, so maybe that may have features that can help you. Possibly group forms in a dynamic portfolio.

Hopefully someone will have a better suggestion.

Niall

Level 3

Thanks Niall - to be honest, if you do not have a workaround, I am not convinced anyone will have one - but I live in hope. As you say, I have seen this behaviour in many different circumstances.