Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.
SOLVED

form which a user of Acrobat fill out and only send a part of the form extern

Level 2

Hi,

Is it possible to built a form which a user of Acrobat fill out and only send a part of the form extern?

Thanks in advance for helping me!

Matthias

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Matthias,

You can password protect the form in LC Designer. This will mean that a person opening the form in LC Designer will need the password, but users opening the form in Acrobat will not need the password.

Parallels Desktop1.png

Tick the permissions password (green). If you tick the top one (red), then the user with Acrobat/Reader will also require the password.

This goes someway to protect the form, but it is not completely secure. Someone with a bit of knowhow and some tools can potentially bypass this.

With the second option, the user still sees the PDF and buttons can show/hide sections. However what is set back is just the data in XML format. You would then need to import that XML data back into the form to view it.

Just a point in relation to the script. It looks like you have an object or subform called 'hidden'. I would not recommend this as 'hidden' may be a reserved word and Acrobat may get confused. Something like 'hiddenSF' or similar is better. So if you are using the first option (which is probably better), all of the objects would be set to a normal/name binding in the Object > Binding tab and you would have script before the submit script:

if (myField.rawValue == 1)

{

hiddenSF.presence = "hidden";

}

Good luck,

Niall

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi Matthias,

If you have the full LC Enterprise Suite you may be able to break up an XFA form and send parts out.

But with Designer/Acrobat you have fewer options, as you can't split an XFA PDF into different files (afaik).

Two options:

• If the submit button is set to return the actual PDF, you could have script before the submit function that would set the parts you don't want to 'hidden'. This was the whole form would be submitted, but only the parts you want would be visible.

• If the submit button is set to return the XML data, you could set the binding of the objects that you don't want transmitted to 'none'. This would prevent that data from being transmitted as part of the submit by XML.

Good luck,

Niall

Level 2

Good Morning Niall,

Thanks for your answer! I think I can only use the two options  with (Designer/Acrobat Pro/)Adobe Reader.

But I've got several questions/infos to these two options:

• Option1:

Info:              I have to transmit the whole form. Then

Questions:    a person (number 1) who use Adobe Reader can send the whole form with parts which are visible or not? But if he send it to a person

(number 2) who has the Designer, person number 2 can also see the whole form? And if I set a password?

• Option2:          But in this option the Adobe Reader user has no influence on hide and show the parts, right?

So I think I have to use first option?! But if I set the submit button to return I have no object/ binding to write a java script like

if (this.rawValue == 1) {hidden.presence = "hidden";} else...

Thanks in advance for helping me, again!

Matthias

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Matthias,

You can password protect the form in LC Designer. This will mean that a person opening the form in LC Designer will need the password, but users opening the form in Acrobat will not need the password.

Parallels Desktop1.png

Tick the permissions password (green). If you tick the top one (red), then the user with Acrobat/Reader will also require the password.

This goes someway to protect the form, but it is not completely secure. Someone with a bit of knowhow and some tools can potentially bypass this.

With the second option, the user still sees the PDF and buttons can show/hide sections. However what is set back is just the data in XML format. You would then need to import that XML data back into the form to view it.

Just a point in relation to the script. It looks like you have an object or subform called 'hidden'. I would not recommend this as 'hidden' may be a reserved word and Acrobat may get confused. Something like 'hiddenSF' or similar is better. So if you are using the first option (which is probably better), all of the objects would be set to a normal/name binding in the Object > Binding tab and you would have script before the submit script:

if (myField.rawValue == 1)

{

hiddenSF.presence = "hidden";

}

Good luck,

Niall

Level 2

Good morning Niall,

thanks for your help! To sum up:

the first option is the saver one but it's not save enough. However it's necessary that we have a completely save version. So we will make two versions. One for extern and the other one for us.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Matthias