Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Forcing a Numeric Pattern

Level 2

Is it possible to

force a numeric pattern to display a pattern like XXXXX-XXX no matter how many numbers are entered?  I want to lock the field to 8 numeric characters (without using a comb), and a hyphen between the 5th & the sixth.  Currently, my field forces the pattern, but if I put in more than 8 characters, the pattern goes away, and allows a new pattern like this: XXX,XXX,XXX

Is this possible?  If so, please walk me through the process.

Thank you!

8 Replies

Level 7

You need to limit the number of characters allowed in the field to 8. You can do this with a script on the change event using javascript.

if(xfa.event.newText > 99999999 || xfa.event.newText < -99999999) { xfa.event.change = "";}

Former Community Member

if (xfa.event.newText.length > 8)

xfa.event.change="";

That will work with both text and numeric input. It's also a bit shorter and easy to manipulate.

Kyle

Level 2

I tried both of your suggestions, and it didn't quite work the way I need the field to work.  I want to limit the field to 5 characters, hyphen, three characters (zzzzz-zzz), and no more.  Currently, even with your suggested javascript codes, if the user enters more than eight characters, the input mask changes to zzz,zzz,zzz.  I would like to lock the value so no one can enter more than 8 characters, with the mask defined in my second sentence.

Level 7

You just need to set an input pattern, like:

num{99999-999}

Level 2

When I set the input pattern you suggest,

and enter more than 8 characters (i.e. 111111111), an error pop-up states "NumericField2 Validate failed". When I click the "OK" button on the error pop-up, the field fills with 111,111,111, allowing the entry.  Can the field not lock the entry to my input mask pattern?

Level 10

You do not need a validation pattern here because you are checking the input with the script.

Try like this..

Display Pattern:      num{99999-999}

Edit Pattern:           num{99999999}

No Validation Pattern.

In the Change event of the NumericField put the following code..

if (xfa.event.newText.length > 8)
     xfa.event.change="";

Thanks

Srini

Level 2

That did it!

I guess I do not understand the difference of the "Display" and Edit" pattern.  I thought you would have the same patten in each.  Also, FormCalc & Javascript are still a bit foreign to me.  Thank you for providing the script.

Level 7

Display is what the user sees when they exit the field, Edit is what the user types in.