Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Folder level function

Level 3

I imagine this will be rated as today's dumbest question.

But I've seen a couple of responses to queries where the response has been to place the code/script at 'folder level' or as a 'folder level function', then they might add something like 'at button level'.  Well the latter is obvious to me, but what do they mean by 'folder level' in regard to scripting in LiveCycle ES?

Thanks,

Peta

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Peta,

Some functionality is considered a security concern, for example silently saving the form with a specific file name and in a specific location.

In order to achieve this, you would need a trusted function. This is a specific script that is contained within a .js file.

You would need to place this file in the correct folder so that Acrobat sees it when it is booting up and automatically loads this trusted function. There is a screenshot here that shows the folder:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2268264#2268264

You would need to place the .js file in this specific folder on every computer that is going to use the form.

There are a few discussions on the forums on this topic.

Hope that helps,

Niall

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Peta,

Some functionality is considered a security concern, for example silently saving the form with a specific file name and in a specific location.

In order to achieve this, you would need a trusted function. This is a specific script that is contained within a .js file.

You would need to place this file in the correct folder so that Acrobat sees it when it is booting up and automatically loads this trusted function. There is a screenshot here that shows the folder:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2268264#2268264

You would need to place the .js file in this specific folder on every computer that is going to use the form.

There are a few discussions on the forums on this topic.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 3

Ah yes Niall, that makes total sense.

I was trying to find a way to have a SaveAs button that would generate a filename from fields within my form when I came across this folder level solution.  Sadly I don't think it would be practical for my situation.  Or... maybe it's just too hard for me to get my head around at this stage.  But I see now, thanks to your explanation what they were talking about.

Thanks,

Peta

Level 10

Hi Peta,

Yes, folder level scripts can be difficult to maintain even in a corporate environment. If the form is readily available to a wide number of users, then it is nearly impossible.

Good luck,

Niall

Level 10

Hi,

in addition to Nialls remarks.

You can distrubute your forms and folder level script using 3rd party tools like Inno Setup.

Therewith you're able to create an installer, that determines if Acrobat or Reader is installed and where the JavaScript folder is located and installs your forms and script to the desired destinations.

I have postes a sample for that purpose a while ago, which may be helpful for you.

http://thelivecycle.blogspot.com/2010/07/create-installer-for-forms-and-scripts.html

Level 3

Radzmar, long time no see.... I've been doing other stuff for a while and just returned recently to the LiveCycle work.

Thanks for this info.  I've got lots to read up on, so tomorrow's going to be my big reading day.

Thanks,

Peta