Expand my Community achievements bar.

Flowable Fields- I think...

Level 1

I have looked through the Forums and Google search topics on this and I still have not found my answer, or do not understand the answer given. If someone could help I'd appreciate it!

I created a Fax template for my company and I'd like it to be printable for writing or be filled out online. So I created line's on the document for printing, however now I am trying to place text form fields over the lines and cannot figure out how to make it "wrap" or "flow" or whatever the correct language is, to the next line/field.

Right now I have individual text fields for each line, the user would have to stop typing and click the next field to continue their statement. Is there something I can do so that it would automatically switch to the next line/field?

Thanks from a Newbie

2 Replies

Level 1

I'm not to sure what your wanting to do. so I am also not an expert at writing scripts. I use livecycle designer to build my fillable/flowable pdfs. this is the code I use to wrap my text from field to field. when one field is full it wraps the test to the next field I have set the focus to. again I am no expert. However this may get you going on the right path or direction.

script:

var w = xfa.resolveNode("itemDescription1").rawValue;    //this is the field they are typing

if (event.fullText);

xfa.host.setFocus("itemDescription2");                     //to set the focus when the field above is full to send the curser to continue to type.

again its not perfect it works for my needs however I saw you had no one post to provide any input. I hope this helps. again I am not an expert.

Level 2

It sounds like you need to create a flowed document with text fields that have specific field properties so your text fields expand (aka fit all the extra text users enter).

Your entire document, notably the part containing this page icon:

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 6.26.48 PM.jpg

...needs to be selected and on the Object > Subform panel the following options should be what's below:
Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 6.31.08 PM.png

For your content -
For content that won't expand to fit more text, all elements must be placed within a subform.
Check your hierarchy and make sure anything you've laid out is nested in a Subform (you'll find these in your Object Library) that's set to 'Postioned', visual below:

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 6.44.14 PM.png

The text fields will need to be outside the subforms in the hierarchy.
They also need to have these options in their Object > Field panels:
Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 6.35.37 PM.png

ALSO, under your text fields' Layout panel under 'Height' select 'Expand to fit' (very important**)

Let me know if this helps!