Expand my Community achievements bar.

Expanding fields over page breaks

Level 1

I'm trying to build a form that will have expanding fields that will need to break over multiple pages.  I have chosen "Allow Multiple Lines" and "Allow page breaks within Content", as well as setting the subform to "flowed" and have saved as a dynamic form.  However, I have a message that reads, "Although this object is allowed to break, deselecting the Allow page breaks within Content option of the parent object restricts this object from breaking between pages." So, basically, my fields expand, but they don't break between pages.  Can anyone advise what I'm doing wrong???

9 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

You basically need to work your way up the hierarchy, setting parent containers to break content.

Niall

Level 1

Thank you Niall - that was helpful. Next question - is there any way to have footers in a form that will move when the fields expand?

Thanks again,

Janet

Level 10

Hi,

Are the footers on the Master page? Does the expanding fields overlap on top of the footers?

If so, you need to position the footers on the Master page outside of the content area (purple dotted outline on Master page). You can also reduce the height of the content area.

See example here: http://assure.ly/g0Wx7r.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 1

That was perfect. Thanks. One last question (can you tell I'm new at this?)...I have a second part to my form, that contains expanding fields that need to be on three separate pages (in this instance, Goal 1 on one page, Goal 2 on another page, Goal 3 on a third page). There are a number of fields under each goal are expanding, but they need to break onto another page if necessary. I am unable to make that happen, even though I have the Allow Page Breaks within Content selected through the hierarchy. I'm not sure if I'm being clear enough about what's happening? Then I'll quit bugging you (for now, anyway...).

Level 10

No problem!

There are a number of ways you could achieve it. In the design view you can manually place each of the Goal fields on the op of a new page. Each of these pages will need to be set to Flowed and Allow breaks in content (see the Object > Subform palette).

This means that if the objects under Goal 1 expand beyond a page, a new page will be created to account for the overflow and Goal 2 will start on the top of the next page.

You can also use pagination settings to control where objects are placed.

The Building dynamic tables example has some screenshots for setting up flowed layouts: http://assure.ly/gk8Q7a. Also the example here looks at flowed and positioned layouts: http://assure.ly/eSGQMt.

If I haven't picked up on your issue correctly, come back with some more info.

Niall

Level 1

Well, I seem to have each page set with Flowed and Allow Breaks in Content, but it still doesn't create a new page for the overflow. Does it have something to do with the fact that I have Positioned as well as Flowed subforms on the page?

Level 1

Niall - I got it to flow correctly (YAY!). But is there any way to center a positioned subform between the left and right margins within another subform that is set to flowed? Because as you probably know, when you set a subform to flowed, it moves everything up tight and to the top right corner.

Level 10

Glad you have it working.

In your layout, if you make the positioned subform the full width of the page and then centre the contents within the positioned subform.

Generally when working with flowed layouts it is a good idea to use margins to help keep objects the preferred distance apart. See Layout palette.

Good luck,

Niall

Level 1

By George, I think I've got it! Thank you so very much for all of your help. And thanks for never making me feel dumb...I know that I'm a rank beginner, so I appreciate your patience with my questions. I've learned a lot.

Janet