Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Editing a Completed Form

Level 2

Greetings all,

I'm using Designer 8 and I have stumbled upon a problem.  I created a form with a large amount of fields and the fields have had their info entered into them.  But now when I go to print, the form has the "Submit by email" and "Print Form" buttons on them.  If I choose to edit the form to make the buttons visible on screen only, saving it will erase all the info I've entered into the fields.

Is there any way to edit the form but still keep the field entries?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

On the basis that ALL of the fields in the form have binding set to "Normal" or "Name" (can't remember which one was present in LC Designer 8) - see the Object > Binding palette.

If this is the case, then open the form in Acrobat (Standard or Pro) and in the Forms menu, select "Manage Form Data" and "Export Data". This will prompt you to save the form data as an XML file.

Then edit the form in LC Designer.

Then reopen the new version in Acrobat and from the Forms menu, select "Manage Form Data" and "Import Data". Browse to the XML file and click OK. This will import the data back into the form.

Note that if any object has binding set to "None", then data in this object will not participate in the export/import.

Good luck,

Niall

Assure Dynamics

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

On the basis that ALL of the fields in the form have binding set to "Normal" or "Name" (can't remember which one was present in LC Designer 8) - see the Object > Binding palette.

If this is the case, then open the form in Acrobat (Standard or Pro) and in the Forms menu, select "Manage Form Data" and "Export Data". This will prompt you to save the form data as an XML file.

Then edit the form in LC Designer.

Then reopen the new version in Acrobat and from the Forms menu, select "Manage Form Data" and "Import Data". Browse to the XML file and click OK. This will import the data back into the form.

Note that if any object has binding set to "None", then data in this object will not participate in the export/import.

Good luck,

Niall

Assure Dynamics

Level 2

Niall,

Thank you so much for your extremely quick and helpful reply.  Your solution worked perfectly.  Just for clarification - for you if you care to know, and any others who might find this thread looking for the same solution;

• Designer 8's binding option is "Normal"; "Name" is not present in the binding list
  • All of my fields were actually set to "Global" - not one was set as "Normal"
  • The exporting and importing of data still worked flawlessly

You have no idea how much time you saved me.  I'm fairly new to Designer and as much as I've taught myself there's still so much I'm learning and trying to figure out.

Thank you again, and have a great 2011!

~Yukio