Expand my Community achievements bar.

Don't allow rights managed documents convert into PDF?

Level 2

Hi,

Is there a way or solution to restrict right managed documents convert to PDF via pdf converter such as PrimoPDF, cutePDF & etc..

1 obvious solution is not granting the permission to print, but by doing this the user will not able to print the hardcopy.. just want to prevent document being distributed out as softcopy (in pdf format) but able to print hardcopy.

Any idea?

Thanks

4 Replies

Former Community Member

Are you asking if a PDF created by PrimoPDF or cutePDF can have Rights Management permissions added to it, or are you asking if Rights Management can be used to prevent documents from being converted to PDF by PrimoPDF or cutePDF?

What document format (i.e. Word, Excel) are you trying to protect?

Regards

Steve

Level 2

Hi Steve,

An example,

I have a Microsoft Office Words document which has been rights managed, and the policy applied is print enable for users.

So in this case, users are able to print and use primoPDF or any other pdf converter to convert it to a normal pdf (which is not protected by the policy anymore).

Main points:

1. Able to print into hard copy

2. Don't allow it to "print" into pdf (or any softcopy type)

Is there a way to make it happen? Just would like to get an answer for this.

Thanks.

Former Community Member

I am not aware of anyway to allow "hard copy" printing while preventing "sofy copy" printing to PDF as the same "print" permission is used for both.

I would recommend that if possible you take advantage of the dynamic watermark feature in Rights Management.  You could set the watermark to display the users name, athough it is no guarantee, it would discourage ht euser from distributing a PDF with his or her name on it.

Also, even if we could prevent the "soft-copy" print to PDF, there is no way to prevent a user from taking the paper copy (that they were allowed to print) and then scanning it with a copier to convert it to PDF or some other soft copy format.  The dynamic watermark feature could be used in this case as well to discourage users from converting and distributing the document.

Regards

Steve

Level 2

Thanks for the clarification nd suggestion Steve.

I guess watermark would be the last defence line in this case.

Cheers.