Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

Data bound drop down box not working

Level 1

Hi,

I am new to LC. I've downloaded the free trial of LC Designer ES2, and designed a form with a field bound to a SQL database. I can only get the firts row of the table in the drop down list. Is this happening because I am using the free trial? Is there any way to resove this? Thanks.

11 Replies

Former Community Member

You have to turn on "Show Dynamic Properties" in the Object palette .....see the image below and click on the icon in the red circle then certain properties will be underlined and in colour (see the green circle on the image). Then you can click on the "Specify Item Values" and follow the wizard to set the binding for the drop down.

image1.png

Hope that helps

Paul

Level 1

Thanks for your help. The option is selected, though greyed out. I can't click on Specify Item Values (that's not what I want, I need the values pulled from the table)

Thanks againObject.png

Level 1

Still unresolved but reading your post again I realized that I missed the part about the wizard. The issue is I cannot get to the wizard....

Former Community Member

By clicking on that link you can bind the appropriate column to the DDlist and it will populate the list for you.

The question is why is it greyed out .....can you share the form with me so I can see why?

You can email the form to LiveCycle8@gmail.com ...please include a description of the issue.

Paul

Level 1

Paul,

Before I send you the form, one more thing. If I choose "Save as..." I can only save the form as static. Why is 'dynamic' disabled? Maybe because I am using the free trial version? Could this be the root cause of the issue? Thanks...Vlad

Former Community Member

No there are no restrictions on the trial version .....how did you create the form in th e1st place ...did you import a file or did you start from scratch?

Paul

Level 1

I imported the file. IIRC, I saved the file as PDF from within Word, using the Create PDF option provided by Acrobat. Then created the LC form from this file

Thanks...

Former Community Member

When you import the PDF like that you have two options. The default is to preserve the look and feel of the form and make an image of the PDF, then you lay fields on top. In this mode you cannot create a Dynamic PDF because of the image. The other option is to take each object in the PDF and change it to a corresponding XFA form object. If you chose this option then you can save it as a dynamic form. Is the form big? Can you import again...or better yet you could import the word file and not go through the PDF option at all.

Before you do that I suggest you create a test form and make sure that the DDList operates the way you want. Start a new form and put a data connection and a DDlist to see how the DDlist works with the data base. Then if you like it you can import the word or PDF file again and choose the correct option.

Paul

Level 1

Paul,

I did as suggested. I created a new form, with a data connection a drop down list bound to it. It'll let me save the form as dynamic, but when I preview it I still get only the first row of my table

This is the query I use: select stateprovname from dbo.tblProvStates where country='CA'

What am I doing wrong?

Former Community Member

You have to bind the Items as well ...this should be bound to the table level.

Paul

Level 1

Paul,

How do I do that? This is what I see (the same for Item Value):

ThanksCapture2.png