Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Customer Template that emails a formatted letter.

Former Community Member

I need to create a letter template that will email a formatted letter to the employee.

Our customer needs to be able to type in the empty fields througout the letter.  Then the letter needs to format to look professional.

I'm wondering the best way to do this?

Any examples would be helpful!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

I have published a sample Client Letter format form for you. The user types into the fields on the first page. Floating fields on the second page receive that information and sets it into a letter format.

When you create your template (and it doesn't have to be saved as a LiveCycle template, I just save mine as a dynamic pdf) I make my "fill-in page" first, carefully naming each field with a unique name. Then I type the paragraph, insert the floating field (on the toolbar under "Insert", name it the same as the fill in field, change the field type to match the fill in field (ie numeric field set to currency, etc), set the binding to global data and then type xfa.layout.relayout(); into the script editor for each fill in field.

Then as the client fills in the fields on the first page the information sets into the second page and prints out as a form letter.

I have tried to make the first page not print at all so as not to waste paper but all I managed to do was make it all hidden with a blank page printing out with the letter. Maybe someone could help us both with that problem! Niall tried to help me with that before but for the life of me, I can't get it to work.

But I learned how to do this just be asking the nice folks on this forum. If I've described this process incorrectly, please let me know. Thanks, all.

Here is the form:   https://acrobat.com/#d=7g-8Fb3A1LAgbCxtZwGedg

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

you may find this macro interesting.

You can use it to create an email script under a buttons click event, that will use values taken from the form fields.

http://thelivecycle.blogspot.de/2012/05/mailto-maker-marco-v1.html

Former Community Member

Are there any simple idea of the best way to create a template?  Should I create the letter with blanks on the spots the customer fills in, or should I create a form with a bunch of fields that the customer can then fill in and then it submits the typed information into a formatted letter?

Level 10

Which ever works best for you.

A letter with blanks may be difficult to look homogenous as your blanks will have a fixed width but the space needed for the user input can vary.

There is a solution from John Brinkman, that allows to edit floating fields in a fixed text object you can try out.

http://blogs.adobe.com/formfeed/2010/09/editable-floating-fields-v3.html

Former Community Member

The customer told me they want fields to enter and then they hit a button (send to employee) and it formats the letter with the fields they entered.

Correct answer by
Level 4

I have published a sample Client Letter format form for you. The user types into the fields on the first page. Floating fields on the second page receive that information and sets it into a letter format.

When you create your template (and it doesn't have to be saved as a LiveCycle template, I just save mine as a dynamic pdf) I make my "fill-in page" first, carefully naming each field with a unique name. Then I type the paragraph, insert the floating field (on the toolbar under "Insert", name it the same as the fill in field, change the field type to match the fill in field (ie numeric field set to currency, etc), set the binding to global data and then type xfa.layout.relayout(); into the script editor for each fill in field.

Then as the client fills in the fields on the first page the information sets into the second page and prints out as a form letter.

I have tried to make the first page not print at all so as not to waste paper but all I managed to do was make it all hidden with a blank page printing out with the letter. Maybe someone could help us both with that problem! Niall tried to help me with that before but for the life of me, I can't get it to work.

But I learned how to do this just be asking the nice folks on this forum. If I've described this process incorrectly, please let me know. Thanks, all.

Here is the form:   https://acrobat.com/#d=7g-8Fb3A1LAgbCxtZwGedg

Former Community Member

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! It's EXACTLY what I needed!