Expand my Community achievements bar.

Create an "insert from scanner" button for scanning insurance cards into a interactive PDF

Level 2

Hello,

My office uses an interactive .pdf built in livecycle to automate our offices patinet encounter process. We currently fill out the information and use the drop-down menus, etc to automate and speed up the process.

We have to seperately scan the insurance cards and attach them or ad dthem to the document using a series of clicks the old fashioned way.

Is there a way to create a Button within the Interactive PDF that says "Scan Insurance Cards" and have it bring up the scanner dialog box, scan the document, and insert it into the page or a new page?

Thanks,

Bryan

2 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

I can only make a suggestion for the first part. Including the following Javascript in the click event of a button will call the scanner:

app.execMenuItem("Scan");

I think you can set the defaults for the scanner that it will append the existing file with the scanned image; however I am not sure if it will successfully append onto the end of an XFA form. Bit of a mix, which I suspect Acrobat will not allow. Worth a go.

Good luck,

Niall

Level 2

Thank you for your help. This actually works great when added to the form in Acrobat, but when I add it to our Form made in Livecycle it doesn't function the same. In both forms, the Java function opens the Custom Scan box, and gives you the option to append the new scan to another pdf document.

When added in acrobat, the custom scan automatically fills in the "Append to Document" box with the documents path/filename that you are working in.

When added in Livecycle, the custom scan leaves this box blank so you have to find the path for the document you are in, which sometimes is a temporary file or new file that has not yet been saved to disk. So, this method does not work for us.

Unfortunalty, Livecycle forms won't let you add items from Acrobat so I am out of options. Anybody have a better solution, or is there any way to add the Javascript that opens the scan box and automatically adds the form to the exsisting documnet using default scan settings?

Thanks,

Bryan