Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Convert 6 page pdf to dynamic layout

Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to create a dynamic pdf that shows/hides various sections and grows as needed depending upon what is selected.  I started with a 6 page pdf that I created from the html webpage that we are currently using to do this with javascript.

So I am setting up my subforms and using the Action Builder to set the presence of the subforms and everything is working great until I get to the bottom of the page and the last subform is not carrying over to page 2 and is just cutting off in the middle.   I've tried looking at various pagination options, and I am just not sure what to do.  So I looked in the Help more and it talks about how dynamic pdfs don't really have pages until they are fully processed, so I am not sure how to get my fields out of the current 6 page layout.  I am very new to Designer so I would appreciate if you have any advice for me on how to get this working.

Thank you!

Mindy

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

From the hierarchy, objects overflowing from page1 will overflow onto a new 'instance' of page1. It is likely that the content on page2 will appear on the next page.

If you want the content to keep together, so that if content from page1 overflows, it will appear on the top of page2, pushing page2 content down. Then in LC Designer you can drag the subforms from page2 and drop then over the page1 icon in the hierarchy. On release LC Designer will insert the subform in at the bottom of page1. If there isn't room, then it will insert a new page. Keep doing this working down the hierarchy, so that all of the content is on page1. In the Design view you will still have the content over six pages.

Does that make sense? Try it on a backup copy of the form.

Niall

Assure Dynamics

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi Mindy,

It should like the page type is set to Positioned in the Object > Subform palette. To get the content to overflow onto a new page, you need to set the page type to Flowed.

When you change the type to flowed, the page contents will become left aligned and stacked one object on top of another. This may mess up your layout. So if you undo this and then start to group objects that do not grow into positioned subforms. This will help you maintain the overall layout.

This example form looks at the difference between positioned and flowed content. If you scale the images up you will see that the positioned content will cut off the image and will not flow onto a new page.

http://www.assuredynamics.com/index.php/category/portfolio/explore-the-differences-between-positione...

I have a sample here that examines the steps to setting up a dynamic form:

http://www.assuredynamics.com/index.php/category/portfolio/building-dynamic-tables/

In addition the form needs to be saved as a Dynamic XML Form in the save-as dialog.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Assure Dynamics

Level 1

Thank you, that is very helpful!  I am still wondering if I need to do anything about how the pages are already set up in the hierarchy.  Do I just ignore/delete them and move everything onto Page1?  Or should it even have a Page1 and that should be something else?

hierarchy.JPG

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

From the hierarchy, objects overflowing from page1 will overflow onto a new 'instance' of page1. It is likely that the content on page2 will appear on the next page.

If you want the content to keep together, so that if content from page1 overflows, it will appear on the top of page2, pushing page2 content down. Then in LC Designer you can drag the subforms from page2 and drop then over the page1 icon in the hierarchy. On release LC Designer will insert the subform in at the bottom of page1. If there isn't room, then it will insert a new page. Keep doing this working down the hierarchy, so that all of the content is on page1. In the Design view you will still have the content over six pages.

Does that make sense? Try it on a backup copy of the form.

Niall

Assure Dynamics

Level 1

Thank you very much! I think it is working now!