Expand my Community achievements bar.

Audit trail for each form

Level 3

Our customers are asking for an audit trail to be added to each form.  The audit trail should keep a log of activity that has been done on the form, for example:

who read it (and date)

who edited it (and date)    

who printed it...

etc.

Has anyone created a fragment to handle this effectively?  If a form is going to  be going to different people via an orchestration, do we have to modify the audit log using process variables in the orchestration (for each step along the way) or can it be handled more easily in the form?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Elaine

4 Replies

Former Community Member

Elaine,

The audit feature of LiveCycle Rights Management ES performs these functions. Rights Managements will "enable all activity (open, modify, print, close) on protected documents to be logged by the server and reviewed by the author."

Steve

Level 3

Thanks Steve, I will talk with my management about purchasing this.  In the meantime, do you know of any (less elegant) alternatives?

Thanks!

Elaine

Former Community Member

Elaine,

That's a tough one whether the form is rendered inside or outside of Process Management ES and Workspace ES. If you are inside Workspace ES you can identify the user but capturing meaningful audit data is not guaranteed.

There is a lot to consider: differences in system clocks on each client machine, the impact of a dropped network connection while the form is open, screen printing, etcetera.

You have "postSave" and "postPrint" events at your disposal in the PDF but how do you persist the data?

I am as curious as you if people have found a viable solution.

Steve

Level 3

Thank you Steve. Yes, we are inside workspace. I come from the Lotus Notes

days where capturing this type of data was sooooo much simpler, and

built-in.

Thanks again for being so responsive, I will forward this to our management

and let them (decide to) purchase Rights Management

Elaine