Expand my Community achievements bar.

Any settings for max. number of characters in DD?

Level 8

Hello

I am keeping a drop-down field on my interactive form and am setting "Allow user input his/her own value in it".

But, i want to restrict end-user to enter a specified number of characters, we hv the same ability to specify for text fields.

Do we hv any such option of specifying MAXIMUM NUMBER OF CHARACTERS in the drop-down field?

Thaknk yoo

6 Replies

Level 6

Something like this:

if (xfa.event.newText > 999) {
xfa.event.change = "";
}

use the change event & java script

Level 8

Thank you.

Pls. eloborate, am a very beginner to Java script. I did not see any thing with in ur collons """"?

Regards

Level 6

There is nothing between the " "  because if the value is greater than 3 characters, it will be blank.

Level 8

Thank you.

I copied and pasted the below code at CHANGE event of that specific field (COUNTRY drop-down), but,am getting error/red ribbon on Java Script, pls. let me know the correct syntax,

if (xfa.event.newText > 999) {
xfa.event.change = "";
}

Regards

Level 6

What is the error message?  What is a red ribbon?

Did you set the validation pattern as 999?

Object palette

Value Tab

enter 999 in validation pattern

the syntax is correct

Level 8

Ohhhh....Sorry...you are asking me to put 999 in VALIDATION PATTERN? ohh...okay...

1) OK, I will put 999 in VALIDATION PATTERN, then, next wht i have to do? where should i copy & paste ur code? is it in (Java) script EDITOR? or some where else?

2) Also, pls. let me know more importantly that, UNLESS & UNTIL the user CORRECTS formatting (here max. # of characters) issue, system/form should not let end-user to go further/to enter any data in other fileds/greyed all the REST of the stuff.....User has to fix it to move forward. Pls. let me know  how can i get it?

Thank uyou