Expand my Community achievements bar.

Allowing text fields to break across pages

Level 1

I'm new to using LiveCycle and Adobe to set up forms.  I'm trying to get a text field to expand to fit and break across pages.  I have the subform and the text field set up to allow breaks, but it's not working.  I suspect that it has something to do with the error message shown in the picture, but haven't been able to figure how to correct it.

Please help.

P.S. In case you can't read it, the message says, "Although the object is allowed to break, deselecting the Allow Page Breaks Within Content option of the parent object restricts this object from breaking between pages."  I assume the subform is the parent object and it's selected to allow breaks as is the text field.

adobe picture.png

9 Replies

Level 10

The subform that the text field is in needs to be set to Flowed and Allow Page Breaks and as well as having Allow Multiple Lines checked for the text field you'll need to have Expand to Fit checked on the Layout palette.

And then make sure you're saving the form as Dynamic (File > Save As).

Level 1

I selected subform1 and have it set to flowed and allow page breaks. The Pagination tab is completely grayed out.

I selected the text field and it's set for allowing multiple lines and allow page breaks. Expand to fit for height is selected.

I have the form saved as dynamic.

The field grows, but doesn't break. Nor, does the second subform / text field move down as the first one grows.

I need to apply this to another form, and wanted to see if I could get it to work before applying it to the real form.

I've attached my sample I've been working in case you see something I'm not doing right.

Thanks. (I'm using version 8.2)

L.L.M.

Level 10

Attachments don't work here - you'll have to share via acrobat.com or something like that.

Level 1

Hi there,

I am attempting to complete the same task as this and having the same difficulty.

Keeps putting text in and using the scrolling feature - does not break.

Did you solve this problem?

thanks

D

Level 1

I did. It took a lot of research to figure out.

Each text field that I wanted to be able to expand and break across pages, I put into a subform. That subform then has to be set to Content - flowed versus positioned. I use Flow Direction of Western Text, so I had to play with the sizing of the text fields and put in a few space holders (blank text boxes) in order to get the form layout the way I wanted it to look. It took a bit of doing as well as modifying the hierarchy of the fields in order to get the tab through of the form to work correctly.

Don't forget that the blank page of the form already has one subform on it. On my screen, it's a dotted blue line. You have to set that to flowed as well in order to get everything to work.

L

Level 1

I have. I created a subform.

Selected all the components but i can't seem to get it to flow onto the next page.

It keeps giving me just a scroll bar.

Level 1

Oh thanks and ps. I only have 1 text box that I want to expand (thank goodness)!

Level 1

I'd be happy to take a look at what you've got, but don't really want to put my email address out here for everyone to see. Without being able to see your document, the only thing I can think of is that the master subform that LiveCycle automatically creates has not been set to flowed.

L

Level 1

I got my tester to work! thank you for all your help.

First your text object needs to be only a couple of lines (I had mine as a page)

Second, although it appears to be a scroll bar when you click out of it the document adjusts.

thank you again

D