Expand my Community achievements bar.

What to do with XML files?

Former Community Member
Hi,

I'm trying Adobe Professional to see whether or not it's suitable for doing some market research. If I send out a form and get hundreds of XML responses, how do I import them all at the same time to the dataset file?

The only method I've found of importing the XML data files is to open the PDF form and import one file at a time, each time saving the PDF. Later, these PDF files can all be imported in a batch by opening the dataset PDF and choosing "Import Data". It seems absurd to me that there's no way to select multiple XML files to import instead?

What have I missed?

Thanks

Jon
3 Replies

Former Community Member
Further to this, the instructions in some of the returned e-mails state that I should be able to open the XML data attachment with Acrobat. However, if I do this, I get a message from Acrobat saying that it doesn't support the file type. I'm using Acrobat Pro 8. The form was designed with LiveCycle Designer.

I've read through all the relevant help files and there seems to be very little detail about how to process the XML data. I was hoping that I could use Acrobat as a short-cut, without having to write a script to handle the XML on the web server?

Incidentally, I've confirmed that "Enable Usage Rights in Adobe Reader" enables sending of the entire PDF instead of XML. It's just that the PDF is a *lot* bigger than the XML...

Jon

Former Community Member
HI Guys,

In Acrobat 8, go to Forms> Manage Form Data> Merge data files into Spreadsheet. You select multiples files before you export. You can also use the Excel XML Toolbox (free plugin) but you must have the enterpirse edition of excel

Cheers

Gazzzz

Former Community Member
I had this problem. You must open the original form and not the one generated by LiveCycle to send out. Open the original form and then Forms | Manage forms data | Import data to open a dialogue box that requests the xml files. Without automation, this has to be done one at a time, I think.