Expand my Community achievements bar.

Using field data to customize email subject line

Former Community Member
Hi Folks-

I have been searching help, tutorials, forums, etc. to no avail looking for an answer to this question. I have created a form in LiveCycle which is returned to me via email. I would really like to have some information from the form show in the email's subject line when I receive it, specifically the name and number of the location that sent it. This allows me to sort them by different criteria without having to open each one.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or direction, you can give me would be very helpful since I have found no indication of how to do this. I would expect it is in the program somewhere though...

Thanks in advance!

Paul
4 Replies

Level 5
If you add a regular button in your form use some thing similar to following JavaScript code in Click event.

event.target.submitForm({cURL:"mailto:your@email.com?subject="+Subject.rawValue+"&body=Do not change subject line or body of this email.",cSubmitAs:"PDF",cCharset:"utf-8"});

assuming "Subject" is a field name and Subject.rawValue gets the value of that field. You may have to match with your SOMExpression to get the value.

Good Luck,

SekharN

Level 4

Is there anyway to modify this where if you have a checkbox marked RUSH - that it can put the word RUSH in the subject line?

Former Community Member
Hey! This was some really great help. I was able to use the base script to set this up so that the email has the subject just the way I want to receive it.

Apparently I still have something here that isn't making everyone's computer happy. My firebird email program whips this right open with no issues. The folks I am using this with operate with Microsoft Outlook which does not open a new email when the button is clicked. Any thoughts or suggestions as to how to change this so that it will work with Outlook would be fantastic. Code follows.

Thanks!

Paul

event.target.submitForm({cURL:"mailto:p****@tampabay.rr.com?subject="+storeNumber.rawValue +" "+storeName.rawValue+" QA Survey &body=Please do not change subject line or body of this email.",cSubmitAs:"PDF",cCharset:"utf-8"});

Level 1

I too am looking for this ability.

Using LiveCycle ES2 (9), I want to make a submit button that will open the default email program (in this case outlook) and have the subject line with, "Name _of_my Document" plus the text in the filled object currently called, "TextField4".

Based on the help here and on another thread similar, I am still not able to get this properly set up.  I have a button, I have it launching to email properly with the fill form as a.pdf, but don't know what code to place into it so that subject line calls out the one particular field I want. 

Could some kind soul please provide more detail as it relates to my version of LiveCycle?