Expand my Community achievements bar.

user-entered field treated as read-only

Former Community Member
I created a large form in version 7. I brought it into version 8 to work on it some more. I believe this may be related to going from 7 to 8...

I have lots of numeric fields in rows and columns. All the fields are User Entered - Optional. When I view it in Preview, one field in the middle will not allow entry. It's as if the field were Read Only. I go back to Design mode and the field is still listed as User Entered. This occurs on a few pages.

Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
3 Replies

Former Community Member
I've had the same problem with odd behavior with certain fields when importing old forms into Designer 7.1. I never did find a real fix, I just deleted the offending field and dragged a new one in from the library. Be aware that this will scramble your tabbing order somewhat. The thing that seems so odd is that it's rare that it happens, and it's only one or two fields that are affected, not the whole form.

Former Community Member
Yes, I fixed mine the same way: deleting the problem fields and recreating them which involved adjusting several characteristics of the fields (layout, font, formulas). Fortunately it is rare; of the 1200 fields (this is a huge form), approximately 2 dozen were affected. Still, it is a little annoying.

Former Community Member
My office uses Times New Roman as a standard font for all our forms, I dragged several of the most used standard objects into a blank form, altered them to fit our standards and then dragged them back into the standard tab. Much easier than going through the process each and every time you need to pull a field in, fyi. You can also put a script into a field and put it into either the custom tab or create your own tab for personal objects, I find this saves me huge time by not having to re-type scripts over and over.