Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Unless I'm wrong Form functionality is great - printing is sad

Former Community Member
I am using LiveCycle Designer to design a very simple somewhat interactive form - very simple .... few form fields ... uses only a single xfa.host.importData(); call to load the form fields for viewing ....

the user can print or save - to a static PDF image for archiving -

This is working and is all great - many thanks to Mr. Paul Guerette....

Now My user base - is happy and satisfied - but just one more thing they lack -

they don't always need or want to view the PDF - but simply want to designate that they want to print the file - and have the output go to the printer on command..

Is this where Adobe Livecycle Designer(c) screeches to a halt and can no longer deliver ?

What other (Adobe(c)) product options are there ?

Thanks
5 Replies

Former Community Member
Not sure I see an issue here ...they open the file in Acrobat/Reader and choose the print option and voila it prints to their default printer (or they can pick another printer if they wish).....or am I missing something.

Former Community Member
I am attempting to develop a more automated feature for users who dont always need to view the information before printing.

Basically, i show the user a checklistBox - and they pick the ones that that they want to view and the ones that they want to print from the list.

I am trying to process the choices made and automatically print the ones that they have designated for printing while the view the ones that they need to go over.

This will reduce the number of man hours required to process information -

I don;t see anything yet - that would let me do this -

Could I call the reader using command line arguemts ????

I thought that there was an API for Adobe that would allow me to at least automate the basic save, print functionality - but I cant seem to locate it

perhaps if i have active X capability - I could use a javascript active X call -

If you steer me - in some direction - right now - I'm sort of guessing my way around this problem

Former Community Member
Are you trying to do this from the client or the server? If from server LiveCylce Output will print your PDFs with data.

What program is showing the user the Checklist Box?

Former Community Member
This is being done on standalone clients -

The program that accesses the local file system is a C# program and I am hoping to somehow be able to print directly without needing to

view the file since, in many cases, the user already knows what

the file contains and will either want to skip it or print it directly

The skiping part is no problem - but i can't seem to find a way to directly print the file without first viewing it in the reader and loading the data from a local file.

if there is a way to do this on a client with one of the Adobe products - it would be a great productivity booster.

Thanks

Former Community Member
I am not an Acrobat expert and I have seen printing done when passing a URL back to a browser. I know there are interfaces available for external programs to automate Acrobat/Reader. They are called AIC Interfaces (Acrobat Interoperability Interfaces). I would suspect that they would be described on the Acrobat forum. Whether you can automate print from that interface or not I do not know.

Also there is a new Batch processing command in Acrobat that you may find useful. It can allow you to print multiple documents from a single command.