Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Unable to save a form with missing required fields

Level 7
I have a form, with required fields, as part of the new hire process. I would like to make sure the user fills in the required fields before closing/saving the form.

I have a custom script that highlights the missing required fields when the complete/validate button is clicked.

This, however, doesn't stop the user from saving the form. As a result, we are getting incomplete forms returned.

Is there a way to stop the user from saving the form until the required fields are filled ?

Thanks in advance.

Aditya
8 Replies

Former Community Member
There is a preSave event that you can put your validate code on then you could warn the user that the form is not complete. I woudl not stop them from saving though as they may wantt o save and complete later.

Level 7
I tried using the preSave event. This will only notify them, if there are any missing fields, not stop them from saving.

In our process users fill the form and email it back to the Livecycle ES Server. If we get an incomplete for we have to resend the it back to the user.

It is imperative that we get a completed form. Can you suggest a way ?

Thank you for helping Paul.

Aditya

Former Community Member
Do you have a button on the form for them to do the email? That is where you should be doing the validation. I do not like to do it on the preSave as the user may want to save what they have done and come back and complete later ....basically a work in progress.

Level 7
I have a "validate" button that sets a flag (for workflow). This button will perform the check and highlight the missing fields.

Once the user completes the form, he/she saves and emails the form. The reason for not having the email button is because not all users will have outlook and wouldn't want to go through the wizard.

I understand your point but I need to know if there is some solid way of not allowing the users to return the form without completing the form.

If I include an email button, the users can still save, by using the toolbar menu, and email the incomplete document.

As we are planning to implement Digital Signatures, would it be possible to have the check in the presign event. Will this prevent the document fron being signed until the required fields are filled ?

Thanks

Aditya

Former Community Member
Not sure if the presign is the way to go either ...you will have to try it. I do not see a way to stop the saving, the validations will ony fire (automatically) on a submit operation (email from a button is considered a submit).

Former Community Member
I'm having a problem with the required fields in that the user is not notified when they tab out of the field without adding data, only when they add data and then delete it. Is there a way to fix this?

Former Community Member
Here's what I use on the mouseEnter event on my Email submit buttons.

The commented out part is just for me to remember stuff--"Page1" should be changed to whatever the required fields are on.

// javascript--check required fields--put on mouseEnter--change Page1 to correct form

Page1.execValidate();

HTH

-Ted

Former Community Member
Ted (aka ZeroskillZ),

Thank you so much! That simple script works perfectly!