I am having the same problem. I have one version of the form that works! However, when I change the submit button in Designer, save, then add Acrobat Reader rights, open in Acrobat Reader 9, I consistently get the dreaded message "This operation is not permitted." I don't get the message until the last step of adding Acrobat Reader right in Acrobat Professional 9. Looking at the amount of time devoted to this message, you would think Adobe would remove it or at least be more specific as to what operation should be modified. Or maybe provide a summary of help fixes related to this problem.
I've got the same problem. The dialog box pops up twice (probably once for saving rights and once for printing).Seems like this is a well-known bug that Adobe needs to address. The form I developed for my customer makes me look like a dope with the error boxes.
I've struggled with the same annoyance and found that both of the forms showing this behavior have had the touch-up text or typewriter tool used in Acrobat before the Reader extensions were applied. I went back and created the form without using the typewriter or touch-up text tool and the form behaves perfectly. Hope this helps.
Ok, so this was had been driving me crazy for several hours this morning. To resolve the issues all I did was; copy (Ctrl + A) my LiveCycle form and paste it to a new form in LiveCycle. Saved the new form, then used Adobe Acrobat X Pro to: Save As --> Reader Extended PDF --> Enable Additional Features. Now the form opens without error and can be saved. Hope this helps out.
Brilliant, Thanks @SDTim2, this was really helpful as I created the form in InDesign on a mac and it all worked perfectly this end, it was only when I sent it on to a client using a PC that the errors appeared as I had no way of testing this end as I wasn't encountering the same problems. Did as you said, and it worked perfectly. Many many thanks.
I'm replying to this old thread for anyone looking for this problem in the future ( like I did ).
The problem for me was that the original .pdf had a single blank comment in it.
I opened it in Acrobat pro, deleted the comment, saved, opened it in livecycle, changed the illustration ( or whatever you had to change in the first place ), save it again, opened it in Acrobat and save for Reader Extended PDF.
It now works
PS: nice job Adobe with useless error messages. Just saying "Comments are not allowed" instead of "This operation is not permitted" would have saved countless hours to countless people.
I had the same problem, using latest Acrobat DC. Turned out that it was because one of the documents was signed with a certificate. I've converted the signed document to a plain PDF (via print dialogue in Preview app) and after that document diff tool worked.
I am so new to this and seriously frustrated.
I am using Adobe Professional 8