Expand my Community achievements bar.

text box border problem - the lines dissapear!

Former Community Member
Hello All -

I am filling my text boxes with a color using:

TextBox1.ui.oneOfChild.border.fill.color.value = ...

this fills ONLY the text editing box with color, which is exactly what I want. and i've set the appearance on all of the text boxes to 'Solid Box' so that there is a solid line around the editing portion.

however, as soon as i preview the PDF, half the text boxes on my page (i have a function that loops through all of the boxes and sets the fill color) lose some of the border!! some will be missing the bottom line, some will be missing the left-hand and top lines...it's crazy!

please help - thank you!
3 Replies

Former Community Member
anyone know any way too keep this from happening?

it's a really serious problem, design-wise.

Former Community Member
I have the same problem. I have fields that get a fill color of blue if the user doesn't enter data. When the data is entered, the fill color changes back to white. However most if not all of the lines around the value area (not the border around the entire fields) seem to disappear.

This appears to be a two-fold problem. First, the line around the value area seems to be made up of two lines: an outer one of about 3 pixel in size, and an inner line of about 8 pixels. When you specify a fill color, it overlaps the inner line. If you change the fill color back (to say, white), that inner line changes again.

That leaves you with just the outer line. And that line is so thin, it doesn't show up on the average computer screen so you think the line disappeared. (If you zoom in, you will see that there *is* a line there.)

I tried using a combination of things to restore the original look but no success:

TextField1.border.edge.presence = "visible";

TextField1.border.edge.stroke = "solid";

TextField1.border.edge.thickness = "0.0069in";

The only work-around seems to be to specify a color for the edge:

>TextField1.border.edge.color.value = "0, 0, 0";

This makes the line thicker than the original line but at least it appears. (Specifying the edge thickness as above gets ignored.) I try to make the thickness a little more subtle by using a shade of gray instead of black.

Former Community Member
You might want to try changing the color this way...

TextField1.resolveNode("ui.#textEdit").border.edge.fill.color.value="255,255,255";

I'm not clear on the UI (user interface) object or the #textEdit object but they seem work for most fields. (This might not work for drop down or radio buttons...)