Expand my Community achievements bar.

Tab sequence for Arabic Forms (Arabic Language is from Right to Left)

Former Community Member
I am trying to build a form for Arabic Language (Arabic Language is Right to Left).

Tab sequence is not working fine. It remains from Left to Right. Is there any way to change this (i.e Right to Left)?
8 Replies

Former Community Member
Are you using English InDesign ??? There is available a Middle Eastern edition of InDesign CS3-ME, that provides right-to-left text support and other Arabic typograhic features.

http://www.fontworld.com/me/indesignme.html

Former Community Member
I am using Adobe Life Cycle designer English version. Is InDesign different from Adobe Life Cycle?

So to solve my matter I have to buy Arabic Edition?

Former Community Member
Baber,

I am trying to create your scenario myself. I opened Life Cycle Designer. I pressed F1 to open the Help window. I clicked on the Index tab and typed the keyword Arabic in the find field. I selected "setting up object for". In that help window it gave me step by step instructions how to configure the text field properly.

I created a new blank form by clicking on the New Icon.

To change the form Locale from my default of English to Arabic I went to File Menu and selected Form Properties. Click on the Defaults Tab. I went to select Arabic and there are many options as to the type of Arabic you use. I looked back at your email but don't see that you referenced the type of Arabic you require.

I chose Arabic (Algeria). It notified me spell check would not check those fields for spelling. I guess I'd have to configure my Microsoft Office Language default language to Arabic. Which I'm not all that keen on doing. So I'll opt for it not to check my spelling.

I followed the help example and created and arranged 5 drop-down lists and changed each locale to one of the following:

English(USA), Arabic(Algeria), Hebrew(Israel), Thai(Thailand) and Vietnamese(Vietnam).

I changed the Arabic and Hebrew objects to right align the text in the caption and the drop down box.

I selected and copied the english object and pasted it in the empty page below the 5 objects. I selected and copied the Arabic object and positioned it to the right of the English object. Giving it the position of last on the page.

I saved the form and selected the Tab Set feature from the View Menu. I held down the shift key and clicked on the Arabic object so it appeared as the 1st Tab setting. I then clicked on the English object (the one directly to the right of the Arabic object you selected as 1st tab setting). I then clicked on the Vietnamese object making it the 3rd Tab, Thai as the 4th Tab, Hebrew as the 5th, Arabic as the 6th Tab and English as the 7th Tab. I turned off the Tab View from the View menu. Saved my document. Previewed and tested the tab settings. They worked just the way I assigned them.

Hopefully this will give you a start.

Happy computing!

Pam

Former Community Member
In LiveCycle, I am using the drop down box for US States. I've set the default to "none" and in the designer mode, it shows nothing; however, when I switch to preview mode, the first state on the list is showing. I don't want it to show a state unless one is picked. How can that be done? Thanx.

Former Community Member
Hi Paula,

I was able to add the State List and changed the value tab of the State List object select "None" as the default.

When I clicked on Preview the field was blank.

I saved the form and opened it in Acrobat Professional and the field was blank. I dropped down the list and selected Maine. It changed the focus to Maine.

Perhaps delete your object and readd it.

Make it a great day!

Pam

Former Community Member
I did that and it still didn't work; also, It messed up my tab order and when I tried to redo the tab order, it is not the way it is supposed to be. The tab numbers indicate that it is in the right order, however, when doing the actual tabbing, it isn't in the right order. How do I fix that?

Former Community Member
Paula,

I used English which is my default Locale for my testing purposes. However, you are responding to an email thread regarding Arabic.

What is the Locale set to for your form?

Is it set to English or Arabic? If Arabic what is the specific Locale you are working with?

Thanks

Pam